20

Xiao and I step foot in Inazuma, and I can't help but smirk watching my little adeptus so bright-eyed and excited yet obviously nervous at the same time as we enter Ritou.

I send a quick "I'm here" text to Itto, and Xiao and I take a seat on a random ledge beneath a tree while we wait.

"Are you happy you came yet?" I say, which earns me a glare.

"How can I be happy I've come here?" he says. "Nothing interesting has happened yet."

I sigh. "Are you kidding me? Look around! This is all new to you. You just traveled Xiao, outside of Liyue. Isn't that interesting and exciting enough already?"

He takes another look at the purple scenery surrounding us and crosses his arms. "I guess."

"YOOOO!"

The both of us turn in the direction of the loud voice, to find none other than the oni himself making his way toward us.

"Hey there little dude!" he says, smacking my shoulder as I stand. "What?! Oh my gosh, no way... Is that Even Littler Dude from the Chasm?! I mean I don't remember inviting him but hey, you're totally welcomed. We're all friends here, am I right? Anyway, I'll show you to the super-cool-yet-totally-chill spot yours truly just so happened to score for our awesome party tomorrow night. Oh, and no worries, it's totally legal this time. Come on-come on slowpokes, let's go!"

——

Itto leads us to an open beach area that he, indeed, did happen to rent legally this time (thanks to Shinobu of course), before giving Xiao a grand tour of Inazuma for the remainder of the day. By the time Itto stops talking it's dark out, and all of us are starving.

"Man," Itto says, "I don't know about you, but if I don't eat something in the next five minutes, I'm not sure I'll still be standing. Why don't I treat us all to some extra special hand-picked roasted lavender melons? Hmm? Don't knock 'em till you try 'em."

I shake my head. "It's been a long day," I say. "Why don't we all sit down and eat together at a restaurant or something? That way we can enjoy a nice meal and get to know each other more. This is the first 'vacation' I think Xiao has ever had. I want him to enjoy himself."

"Aether," Xiao says, reaching for my hand, "it's fine. I don't want—"

"I heard they have some ingredients imported from Liyue at the restaurant I have in mind," I say. "I'll request they make you some of their best almond tofu."

He pauses, searching my eyes, before folding his arms. "Fine."

"Haha alright!" Itto says, standing between us and guiding us down the walkway. "To the restaurant! ....Uh, what exactly is this restaurant called again? Also, I may have uh...lost my wallet or something, somewhere, I don't know, so yeah, not much for mora at the moment haha...so, you're paying, right?"

I smirk. "No worries, I've got you guys."

"Niiiice, that's my boy!" Itto says, picking up my hand and giving it a high-five. "He's a cool guy, this one. I'd keep him around if I were you." He points at Xiao.

"Yeah," Xiao says. "I plan to."
———————————————————
TO BE CONTINUED