33

I feel a gust of wind blow my hair forward and instantly smile.

"It's about time—" I start to say as I turn to look at my boyfriend, but the words are lost when I'm met by a black teddy bear in my face instead. I stare at it, then look up at Xiao. "What's this?" I say, slowly standing to my feet, a smile hesitantly growing at my lips.

Even in the dark, Xiao's flushed face is evident. He holds it out further, looking away. "For you," he mumbles.

The smile spreads as I snatch the bear from him and hold it tight. Once I pull away, I realize it's wearing a shirt. But not just any shirt... it's a shirt with a picture of Xiao and I on it, kissing each other.

"Aww..." I say, then look to my boyfriend. "You got this made for me?" He nods, and I place the bear to the side and take him in my arms instead. "Thank you baby, that's so sweet. I absolutely love it. I feel bad I didn't get you anything...."

"Hmph," he say. "I don't need your gifts. I got this for you because I wanted to."

I can't help but smirk at his snarky little face, placing it in my hands and pulling it into mine. Our eyes close as we passionate kisses fill our lips, the moon reflecting over the water behind us and onto our skin. When I pull away, we're quiet as we study each other's faces, eyes bouncing between one another.

"What are we going to do," Xiao says, breaking the silence. "Why did you want me to come to the harbor?"

I shrug. "Uh, you're just faster, so I wanted you to come to me..." My eyes slowly turn toward a small boat loosely tied to the deck, watching it float gently along the water, before my gaze gradually returns to Xiao. "Unless..."

Xiao follows my eyes, shaking his head once they meet again. "No."

"Oh come on," I whine. "It'll be so romantic. A nice, peaceful ride along the water. Just you and me..."

"The dock is closed."

"We'll be fine," I say. "It's not like we won't return the boat. We'll sail out and come right back."

Xiao is quiet for a moment, studying my eyes once again, then let's out a soft sigh. "What have you turned me into Aether."

I smile. "Someone with a little more excitement in their life? Is that so bad? Come on, I'm buzzing, let's go."

I take his hand and pull him toward the end of the dock, where the small boat clanks quietly against the wood. I climb in first, then look up at Xiao, whose arms fold above me. He sighs again, clearly defeated, and surrenders to the motion of hopping in as well.

His arms remain crossed as I row the boat forward, getting us as far away from the pier as possible, until nothing is left in sight but water and distant lights. Finally, I stop rowing and let the boat float on its own, placing the ores inside and relaxing my arms. I let out a sigh, then dig into my bag, pulling out two cups and a bottle of champagne. Gently, I start to pour some into one of the cups, handing it off to Xiao.

"For you," I say, and he just stares at me instead, giving me a look.

"You planned this, didn't you," he says. It wasn't a question.

"Whaaat?" I tease, smiling from ear to ear as he finally takes the glass. I begin to pour my own, before lighting a candle inside of a jar and placing it in the middle. "I just wanted to do something nice for you, Xiao. You've been so stressed lately. I wanted to take your mind off of everything for a bit." I lean back and take a sip from my glass, watching him.

He looks down into his cup, fingers playing around the rim, then gives in to a soft smile. "Thank you, Aether," he says.

"No, thank you. For being in my life. For accepting me, and allowing me close to you, even though I know it was hard for you. I appreciate that more than anything."