21

The lights in the restaurant are dim and set a sultry mood. It's not too crowded, and the people who are here chat softly amongst each other. The waitress takes our orders, and we sit staring at one another from around the table, nonchalantly sipping our drinks.

"Sooo..." Itto breaks the silence, as expected, "you guys seems pretty close there. You're not dating are you? I mean I'm not judging or anything! If you are that's totally fine. I'm 110% cool with the ole LGBTQ+ community HAHA. Shoot, I guess I kinda have to be if I—EHM... If I'm a... loyal supporter. Yeah... Uhh get this, I even painted my horns rainbow for pride month. Duuude you gotta see it for yourself!" Itto whips out his absolutely beat up flip phone, scrolls for a minute, then shoves it in our faces. "Look at that. Look. At. That. Pretty sweet huh? Huuuh?!"

I nod, leaning back a bit to actually see the screen that's pushed so close to my face. "Woow," I say. "Pretty cool. But uh, yeah Xiao and I are a thing."

"Brooo! That's awesome!" Itto pockets his phone and reaches out for a high five I hesitantly accept. "Congrats man. Awww look at you two, so cute! You know this whole time I was thinking darn they're gonna be so mad when they find out the room I got for them only has one bed HAHAHA. Looks like it all worked out then, huh? Anyways, so Littler Dude—sorry what's your name again?"

"...Adeptus Xiao."

"Right, Little Xiao Dude. So how's life been since the chasm? I guess you got out okay considering you're literally sitting right across from me HAHA. How'd you get out? I mean, I don't even remember getting out myself HAHA so it's totally cool if you don't remember either. Man, I heard you went through some stuff down there dude."

Xiao tenses. "I do not wish to—"

"Uh, how about you, Itto?" I put a hand on Xiao's lap under the table, clutching his thigh gently and giving it a small rub, because I can feel this uncomfortable aura oozing off of him. "What's new with you? Any new work? Any updates on the love life?"

Itto's face goes completely red as he leans back on his chair, eyes darting around the room for a minute, before he clears his throat and sits up straight again. "Uh, you know me! Arataki smooth-talking Itto has no problem with the ladies... Uh, b-but uh, yeah. I uh..." He doesn't know what to do with his hands—one goes to awkwardly scratch the back of his neck while the other grabs his glass, nearly knocking it over before bringing it to his lips.

My mouth forms a grin. "You have a crush."

Itto spits out his drink...directly into Xiao's face. The oh-shit on both Itto's and my face as we stare at the sprinkled Adeptus was loud, as was the confusion of the people from the tables around us who were also staring now.

"Xiao..." I say softly, but his eyes are locked on Itto.

"U-uh, dude, I'm so sorry man..." Itto's hands slowly raise, before he manically looks for a napkin. "H-here you go my guy..." When Xiao doesn't take the napkin, my heart drops as I watch Itto instead slowly start to wipe at the drink on Xiao's face.

"Itto..." I warn, then look at Xiao. "Xiao, it's okay..."

"EVIL CONQUERING!"

"No, stop it Xiao!" I force him back into his seat. "It was an accident, he didn't do it on purpose. It was my fault for saying that while he was drinking. Shhhh, relax. There you go." I pet Xiao's head gently and the intense aura radiating from his body seems to calm. I give Itto an apologetic look. "Sorry, he has a bit of a temper sometimes, don't take it personally. He's like this with almost everyone except me. He's not much of a social butterfly."

Itto swallows down something hard and shifts nervously in his seat. "Haha..ha... no! N-no it's totally fine. I mean I feel like I almost got murdered there, but you know, no harsh feelings from me man, I completely get it. It's totally my fault anyway Little—Uh, X-Xiao. I'm sorry man. So uh...are we...cool now? No hard feelings from you either, right...haha..."

"He'll be alright," I say when Xiao responds with nothing but an intimidating glare to the oni. "Come on babe..." I take the napkin and clean his face instead, which he allows. "He's nice, I swear. He's just not use to all this. Once he warms up to you, I promise he's the sweetest, most caring guy you'll ever meet."

"Oooookay." Itto clears his throat and fixes himself up in his chair again. "Uh, anyway—"

"So, your love life?" I give a smirk. "Didn't think you dodged that question did you?"

Itto blinks at me, then sighs. "Hey I'll hand it to you, you're good. So yeah... I might uh, have a little... crush... or whatever you want call it. Sure."

"Ohh? Are they going to be at the party tomorrow?"

"Maaaaybe."

"Ooo," I smile, leaning in and folding my hands under my chin to engage in our girl-talk. "Do I know them?"

"I mean yeah. You definitely know them. Don't you know like, everybody?"

"True." I pause, staring at him for a moment as he does the same. "So... who is it?!"

"Hah! I'm not telling," Itto smirks proudly.

I slam my hands on the table playfully. "Not fair! You better spill the beans before I start throwing them at you again."

Itto's mouth hangs open. "Ah come on, now that-that was cold, man!"

I laugh. "Say it."

"I don't know..."

I grab his face. "Say it!"

"Ugh fine! It's the doggy general from the resistance..."

I lean back, folding my arms proudly. "I knew it."

"WHAT?"

"I knew it," I say. "I knew you had a thing for him."

"Pffft! What?" Itto shakes his head. "No you didn't... What are you some kind of mind reader? There's no way you knew... you can't read minds, right?"

"Maybe I can." I wink. "Nah, it was just written all over your face whenever he was around. You were so awkward and even weirder than you already are."

"What?!" Itto says. "I was not weird. I prefer the term, uniquely special."

"Oh," I say, "you're definitely uniquely special. So are you going to make a move tomorrow?"

"Nahhh, I don't have time for that kind of stuff."

I stare at him, then start sniffing the air. "What's that smell?"

Itto sniffs too. "Smells like good food is coming our way!"

"I don't smell anything," Xiao says.

I sniff again, leaning closer to Itto and taking a big whiff. "Smells like EXCUSES."

"Bruh..."

"Talk to him," I say. "I'll be your wingman. We'll come up with a whole plan right now. Tomorrow, you'll be leaving with a date. Got it?"

Itto pauses, then shrugs. "Alright alright, fine. If I want something I gotta go for it right? Besides, I'm Arataki Itto, the coolest, smoothest oni in all the land. He'll totally dig me once I get the chance to actually talk to him."

I chuckle, shaking my head. "Hell yeah."
————————————————————
TO BE CONTINUED (also TYSM guys for the votes and comments. I do be reading them 😎 you guys are great tbh)