38

I can feel the mood shift as we wait on the top balcony of Wangshu Inn for Kaeya to make an appearance. The two of us sit on the ledge in silence, Xiao looking at his feet with arms folded, kicking a pebble, as I lean back and take in the cool breeze, staring up and admiring the architecture of the building.

"Well, well," a voice says. "If it isn't the almighty traveler."

Xiao and I look at the same time to find a blue-haired man approaching us slowly.

"Heyy!" I say, getting up and meeting him halfway. "What's up, Kaeya? Long time, no see."

"Isn't it?" he says. His eyes slowly shift to Xiao, who even more slowly makes his way over, arms still tight over his chest. "Oh, and you must be the adeptus boyfriend. Xiao, right?"

Xiao eyes him up and down—twice—really studying him, before shrugging. The worried look on his face is evident. I throw an arm over his shoulders and reel him in.

"Yep!" I say. "This beautiful creature is the Xiao I mentioned. Isn't he dreamy? He's a little shy but no worries, he has potential to warm up to those he's around eventually."

Kaeya smiles at him. "Aw, it's okay, no need to be shy around me. I only bite when I want to." Xiao squints his eyes in either annoyance or confusion, and I laugh to fill the awkward staring silence.

"He's joking, baby," I say. "Anyways, ready to go to the restaurant?"

"Actually," Kaeya says, "I've been thinking. What if we just all hang out at my room here? I brought card games, some wine I borrowed from Diluc... it'll be a good time, also cheaper. You can even invite some friends if you'd like. There's plenty of wine to go around."

"No," Xiao says.

"That's a great idea!" I say. "I'll phone some Liyue peeps real quick to see if anyone's available."

Xiao sighs as I pull out my phone, making a group chat for all of my friends from Liyue to notify them of the party.

The three of us go up to his room. Xiao and I sit beside each other on the edge of the a-bit-too-soft bed, as Kaeya sits on the couch in front of us, opening up a bottle of wine and lining three glasses up on the table. I catch Xiao staring at him intimidatingly multiple times throughout that one sitting.

"So, Xiao." Kaeya speaks, still focused on pouring, as my boyfriend shifts a bit in his seat at the sound of his name. "Is this your first relationship?"

He pauses. "Yes."

"Ah, how cute," Kaeya says, topping off the glass and carefully handing it to him. "How old are you?"

"Old enough," he says.

Kaeya chuckles. "Is that so? I hear adepti live very long lives. Being around for so long, what suddenly made you decide that Aether was worth your time? Not saying he isn't, of course. I completely get it. I just want your perspective is all."

Xiao seems uncomfortable with his compliment to me. He looks him up and down again. "I love him."

"How cute," Kaeya says. "So it was just different with him then? Like something you've never felt before, after all those hundreds of years I assume you've been around?"

"Is something wrong with that?" Xiao snaps back.

Kaeya chuckles. "No need to get defensive, babes. I'm just curious about you. You're very...interesting."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Aha, I mean... it means exactly as I said, isn't it?"

"I don't like your voice," Xiao snarls. "It's condescending."

"Xiao stop," I intervene. "He's just playful. He doesn't mean it like that, you're simply fascinating to him, that's all. Who wouldn't be intrigued to know more about you? Be nice."

"Whatever."

"Baby," I say, "you promised you'd be nice."

"I am being nice." Xiao rolls his eyes and turns his head to the side.

"I'm sorry Kaeya," I say. "Give him time."

Kaeya smiles. "Aww, how adorable is he?"

"The fuck did you just say? Adorable?!"

"It's really just a compliment, Xiao," Kaeya says. "I find you cute. Why so hostile?"

"Fuck off."

"Xiao!" I shout.

"Sorry."

"Maybe this wasn't a good idea..." I frown. "Hand me my wine. Please and thank you."

Kaeya reaches over and grants my wish. Immediately I start chugging, nudging Xiao to do the same. He sighs, and takes sips as well. We all drink in silence for a bit, until my phone vibrates.

"Ooo yeeess," I say, "Xinyan and Kazuha are coming! No one else responded. Kazuha's got some devil's lettuce, if you know what I mean." I signal with my fingers.

"What is that?" Xiao says, and I simply pat his back.

——

I greet and introduce Xinyan and Kazuha when they arrive, and Kaeya pours them some wine. Kazuha lights one up, and we all take part, even Xiao. Before we know it, we're all laughing and talking our heads off, Xinyan trying not to overdo it too much since she has to leave with Kazuha after this.

"Fuuuck..." Xiao says, and I laugh too hard at that, leaning on him until he's off balance with me.

"Shit's hitting you good is it?" I slur, my smile almost hurting my cheeks.

"Kazuha," Kaeya moans, eyes red. "You're so fucking real... thank you."

"Your journey is just beginning, my friend," Kazuha says, a hand smoothing the knight's knee.

"Ooo guuysss," Xinyan interrupts, waving her phone in the air. "Let's play truth or dare!" 

My mouth drops in excitement. "Oh shiiiit," I laugh. "Fucking geniusss!"
———————————————————
TO BE CONTINUED