23.

The portal that ripped through the Earth's sky pulsated as multiple leviathans and more Chitauri in chariots descended on the city. The Avengers looked up and deflated as their battle was far from over. Tony landed on the street in his suit and stood next to Sue, the two turning to each other for a moment before looking back to Steve, who turned to address the plan.

'Alright, listen up,' he started. 'Until we can close that portal up there, we're gonna use containment. Barton, I want you on that roof, eyes on everything. Call out patterns and strays. Stark, you got the perimeter with Storm-'

'Me?' Johnny cut in.

'Of course, you!' Sue looked at her brother who pointed a dumb finger at himself. 'What good am I in the sky?!'

'Who is this flaming man?' Thor asked, having not been introduced to Johnny since his arrival. 'Is he a witch like the disappearing wench?'

'Wench?!' Sue cried in horror.

'Hold up there, Jesus,' Tony said through his suit with his hand up at Thor. 'No one calls Houdini a wench when I'm here-'

'Please!' Steve yelled and the group went silent. The man shook his head at the immaturity. 'Can we get back to the plan?!'

Sue scoffed as Johnny crossed his arms over his chest, flames licking at the muscles that bulged from their captivity. Tony looked away from Thor, the demi-god unaware of Tony's tongue that stuck out mockingly from behind his mask. Steve let out a sigh and grabbed the bridge of his nose in frustration.

'Right, Johnny, Stark, anything gets more than three blocks out, you turn it back or you turn it to ash!'

'Wanna give me a lift?' Clint asked Tony.

'Right. Better clench up, Legolas.'

Tony went behind Clint and took hold of his arms, flying up into the sky to get the man onto the top of a building. Johnny was engulfed by his inferno and jumped away from the group, heading in the opposite direction to begin scouting the perimeter with Tony. He left a small fire on the floor where he stood and Sue turned her foot into it to put it out.

'Thor, you've gotta try and bottleneck that portal,' Steve started again. 'Slow them down. You've got the lightning. Light the bastards up.'

Thor swung his hammer to rotate it and pull him up and away to get in his position.

'Sue, the subways are rammed right now. I need you down there and make sure no Chitauri are hurting anyone. You can get onto the streets once everyone's safe,' Steve instructed to her and she nodded, heading off to the closest subway station.

'You and me,' Steve turned to Natasha. 'We stay on the ground. Keep the fighting here. And Hulk...'

Bruce whipped around and stared down at the man. His shoulders heaved and his chest was puffed out in preparation to do some damage.

'Smash.'

Bruce grinned and leapt upwards to climb the nearest building. Chitauri didn't stand a chance as they attempted to penetrate Bruce's green skin with their weapons but were crushed by his fists. They came down on them with their mighty strength and Bruce roared as he watched them explode. The Chitauri were thrown to the ground and squished into walls, their green blood leaking and splattering everywhere in a bloodbath.

Sue ran down the stairs that led down into the station. She swung around on the handrails and found Chitauri snarling after civilians that ran in fear. With her hands at the ready, Sue consumed three soldiers in balls of blue. Their legs were forced into their chests as they levitated in the air, trying to break free of the bubbles that surrounded them. Sue shrunk the bubbles and the Chitauri let out a collective scream as they were sucked into themselves. Body parts and blood splattered onto the walls and on the civilians, who stared in horror at the disgusting goo on their clothes.