28.

'Johnny's coming in. I have to go see T-'

'No, you've gotta come in, too.'

'What's got you so worked up?' Johnny questioned as he climbed out of the car. Happy stood aside to let him out before he leant down again to talk to Sue in the driver's seat.

'I don't know who he is, but some guy is here talking to Pepper,' Happy jerked his thumb over his shoulder. 'I don't like him. He's sleazy. It's like a well-dressed Jabba the Hut just walked in and is taking whatever he wants.'

Johnny's hearty laugh echoed through the area and Sue let out a sigh. In her eyes, the more time she sat listening to Happy's paranoia, the more implants Tony could be injecting into his arms. Happy's recent promotion in Stark Industries had brought about complaints that Sue heard nonstop about from Pepper. She assumed this was another example of his 'head of security' mania.

'Please, just come inside,' Happy begged. Johnny bent down to look at Sue as well, their faces staring at Sue and forcing her into a corner.

She let out a sigh and pulled at the handle on her door. Happy and Johnny stood up straight and closed the passenger side. They waited for Sue to walk around the car before the three walked up the stairs to the door. Happy held it open and followed the siblings, eager to show the two the situation at hand. The badge on his chest swayed back and forth at each step. He strode with his shoulders broad and anxious to be told 'you were right, Happy! You saved Pepper!'

They reached Pepper's office and looked through the glass walls that encircled the room. The inside was dark, but Pepper's figure in a white suit could be made out on top of the glass table. A colourful display of a human brain filled the darkness and a man stood explaining his proposition.

'What are we looking at, Happy?' Sue asked after a while of watching the seemingly normal meeting. She glanced down at the watch on her wrist and resisted the urge to walk back to her car on her own.

'I don't like him!' Happy exclaimed. 'He's showing her his brain! He walked in like he owned the place!'

Johnny looked around the waiting area. He didn't like the scene of Pepper being guided down from the glass table by the man in the office. His gaze wondered before landing on a man who was slouched in one of the chairs. He was bald and held up a magazine that he barely read. The dress shirt that peaked out from under his blazer was barely buttoned up and Johnny knew he was something to do with the man in the office. He was just as unlikable judging by the way his legs sat over the armrest of the chair. The lack of respect for the space annoyed Johnny, despite him sometimes having the same indecency. But he would never do it with Pepper around.

'Well, Happy, I'm sure you'll be able to put him in his place,' Sue turned back to the man with a huff and patted him on the shoulder. 'Good luck.'

'Susan Storm!'

Before she was able to leave, Sue turned to where her name was called from. Pepper and the man with the big brain walked out of the office and noticed the three that stood together. Pepper looked flushed from the meeting and Johnny resisted the heat that ran to his fingertips. The way the man with slicked back orange hair had his hand on Pepper's lower back made him angry. Johnny had to stuff his hands into his pockets to stop his fingertips from lighting up with the flickers of flames.

'This is a surprise!' the man grinned. Sue raised an eyebrow at the man whose teeth were too perfect to be real. They caught the light and glowed blue for a second, adding to the fake aura he stunk of.

'I'm sorry, do I... know you?' Sue looked at Pepper. The women tried to talk through their eyes, but their attention was pulled away when the man next to the redhead stepped forward.