70.

≛≛≛

'Susan! She's gone, again!'

A loud sigh rang through the kitchen as Sue loaded up the last plate into the dishwasher. Pressing the keypad to start the cycle, she stood up straight and headed towards the hallway. The wispy pieces of her freshly dyed hair bounced as she walked, her low bun tight at the nape of her neck. Her fringe that she first had over ten years ago was wavy against her forehead from her lack of energy to straighten it. Tony always said that he liked the way it curled but was always neat and kept together. Her desire to go back to her old colour of dark brown and with a light fringe was received well by everyone, including herself. It was time for a change and even though she liked her natural blonde, she wanted to look different for her life.

'If she was in her playpen when you last saw her, why would she be on the floor in the hallway?' Sue put her hands on her hips at the sight of Tony on his hands and knees.

'I went around the playpen three times! She wasn't in there,' he replied while looking up at his world. 'Besides, she crawls at the speed of light. She could be halfway to Italy by now.'

A giggle echoed through the hallway and the two turned to their right, seeing Morgan sat on the first step of the stairs. The baby girl clutched her stuffed crab toy that was a gift from her Aunty Pepper. Its eyes were black dots against the surrounding white, a feature that earned a 'that's so creepy' comment from her Uncle Johnny. Red claws sat limp over Morgan's hands, the girl's thumb stroking its soft fur, a habit her parents recently noticed.

'What are you doing on there, missy?' Sue put her hands underneath her daughter's armpits, lifting her so that she didn't fall the short height onto the mahogany-sealed floor. A gurgle came from the eight-month-old girl, happily sitting on her mother's hip as Sue gave her a little bounce.

'We need to put a bell on her,' Tony got to his feet with a groan, his knees not what they used to be.

'She's got more control on it than I thought. I couldn't work it like that until I was five months post-storm.'

'Well, she's got half of my amazing genes, as well,' Tony looked down at his girls, feeling a grin grow at the sight of his daughter's large, dark brown eyes. They stared up in wonder, smiling toothlessly at her father. The Stark lifted his hand to stroke his thumb against her flawless cheek, his chest full of love and warmth.

'Johnny's coming over in a few minutes. I thought we could go for a walk,' Sue suggested, swaying from side to side as Morgan grinned in joy.

'Through the forest? Are you sure about that?'

'You've got the nano particles in your chest that you said was there to protect us. I'm sure if we're attacked by a bear or something-'

'Let's go to New York.'

Sue whipped her attention to Tony with her eyebrows pinched together. He was stood with his own brows raised, showing he was serious about his suggestion. Morgan let out a whine at the lack of attention from her mother, making Sue glance down and see that her eyes were beginning to fall close. The toy crab slipped from her small fist, before it was yanked up again to keep by her side.

'Why New York?' Sue headed for the stairs to take Morgan up for a nap.

'Just for a change of scenery,' Tony shrugged as he followed Sue. 'We could go by the river. I know Pepper likes it down there.'

'Okay. That should be nice. We'll have to wait until after her nap, though,' Sue motioned her head down to the baby in her arms. They made it to the second floor and went into Morgan's room, which was decorated with light pink walls and a white cot. Decals of lambs and bows were placed below the skirting of the ceiling and the light-wooded floor covered with a large, white, fluffy rug. A window above the cot showed the large back garden that was surrounded by tall, pine trees. Warm sunlight lit up the room and the two padded over to the cot, Sue lowering their tired baby onto the blanket-less mattress.