47.

The quinjet was silent as Clint operated the aircraft from the driver's seat. Bruce was on the floor, his arms wrapped around his torso and sweat glistening on his skin. The news plastered his attack on the African city on every channel, and he couldn't stand to look at the devastation he caused. VERONICA was able to contain The Hulk's rage by dropping him into a construction building, but the damage had already been done. Bruce refused to talk to anyone, but it wasn't an issue, as the team weren't particularly talkative at the given time.

Ultron had almost affected every member of the team. Clint was lucky enough to avoid Wanda and was successful in planting his electric-charged arrow into the witch's head. But Natasha was shown her childhood as a Black Widow and was reminded of the fact that she was sterilised as a young teenager. Thor was shown his home on Asgard and his friend, Heimdall, said that the demi-god would lead their people to Hel. Steve relived a false memory of Peggy Carter, the woman he loved before he came out of the ice. This was also teamed with the shame of knocking Sue unconscious. Johnny had escaped Wanda's wicked grasp but was affected by the act of having to battle Sue in her possessed state. The two were yet to give details to the rest of the team, but none of them were in the mental state to ask.

Sue laid on the bench that protruded from the right side of the hanger. Steve took the responsibility of carrying her into the quinjet to make up for landing the final blow. He hung his head as he carried Sue past Tony, who waited at the ramp as Clint lowered the aircraft into the street. Johnny followed behind Steve and met eyes with the Stark, who fashioned a large cut under his eye from the destructive battle of Bruce Banner. Tony's fingers squeezed the bar that kept him steady in the hanger, his knuckles whitening at the sight of Sue in Steve's arms. Her arm swung limply as she was brought up the ramp and a large bruise was already forming on her cheek. The cut on her temple had dried to a  large streak of maroon, and her red suit was scuffed and damaged.

'Were you trying to kill her?' Tony glared at Steve as he laid the woman down on the bench in the hanger. He ignored the Stark and gently edged his hand out from under her head, walking away with a fleeting look of guilt.

'Next time, you can beat up my sister, Iron Man,' Johnny pushed his shoulder into Tony as he passed. The Storm dropped to the floor and leaned his elbows on his propped-up knees. He didn't want to look at anyone and pierced his gaze through the helpless floor of the quinjet. Tony held back a retort at the sound of Johnny's stiff and mumbled tone. 

Clint flew the beaten and broken Avengers out of the city. Eveyone was tired and defeated. Ultron had broken the most powerful team on Earth and he barely even touched them. With Wanda and Pietro by his side, Ultron made The Avengers a puddle of traumatic pasts and disconnected friendships. He tied them up in the strings that once held him, and while he roamed free, they tied themselves in knots.

'Until we can find Ultron, I don't have a lot else to offer,' Maria said through the monitor, the Stark tower empty behind her.

'Neither do we,' Tony swiped at the screen and ended the call. He sighed and ran a hand down his face before he looked in Clint's direction.

'Hey, you wanna switch out?'

'No, I'm good,' Clint looked over his shoulder from the driver's seat. 'If you wanna get some kip, now's a good time, cause we're still a few hours out.'

'A few hours from where?'

'A safe house.'

Tony didn't question the Barton. Instead, he walked away from the monitor and stopped beside Sue. Her head fell to the side and exposed the full ferocity of the cut beside her brow. Her lips were parted, and her eyelashes graced over her dirt-ridden cheeks. She looked peaceful in her sleep and Tony hoped it was dreamless.