93.

The lake outside the Avengers headquarters was eerie. The team gathered together and were silent during their moment of mourning. The Infinity Stones sat separately back in the compound, all gathered from different timelines and alternate universes. But the cost had been severe. 

Clint returned to the compound alone and filled with grief. Natasha hadn't made it, as the sacrifice for the Soul Stone was a merciless exchange. One soul had to be taken for the Stone to appear, and Natasha ensured that it would be her life that would bring it to light. Clint had fought against this, but the Romanoff had made her choice.

'Do we know if she had a family?' Tony broke the silence.

'Yeah. Us,' Steve answered, and Thor turned to the man with a raised brow.

'What?'

'I just asked him a question-'

'Yeah, you're acting like she's dead,' Thor stepped forward, the denial thick and heavy. 'Why are we acting like she's dead? We have the Stones, right? As long as we have the Stones, Cap, we can bring her back, isn't that right? So, stop this shit. We're the Avengers. Get it together.'

'We can't get her back,' Clint was hurt and betrayed, but the guilt was heavy in his heart. 'It can't be undone. It can't...'

'I'm sorry. No offense, but you're a very earthly being. Okay? We're talking about space magic. And 'can't' seems very definitive don't you think?' Thor was adamant about his theory and the team were growing irritated, but no one chose to voice this. They were too shaken at the loss of Natasha. She had been there from the beginning. She had touched everyone whether it be emotionally, or through a friendship that was incomparable. Thor knew this and refused to believe that her absence was definite. To him, anything was possible with the Infinity Stones.

'Yeah, look, I know that I'm way outside my paygrade here. But she still isn't here, is she?' Clint growled and Thor faltered.

'No, that's not my point-'

'It can't be undone. Or that's at least what the red floating guy had to say. Maybe you wanna go talk to him, okay? Go grab your hammer and go fly and talk to him!' Clint grew angry and pointed into the distance, but his fury didn't last. 'It was supposed to be me... She sacrificed her life for that goddamn Stone. She bet her life on it.'

Bruce hurled a bench across the lake. Natasha was important to him. She was the one who helped control The Hulk when it was uncontrollable. Her lullabies and faith in Bruce changed him. But like everything, the good was taken for what they hoped would be a greater future. Bruce's large shoulders heaved, before his face churned into a sad one. He couldn't lose himself now. None of them could.

'She's not coming back,' he stated. 'We have to make it work it. We have to.'

'We will,' Steve reassured, his leadership needed in the trying time.

'At least someone was saved today,' Tony spoke up and the team turned to him. He stood with his arms crossed and his eyes on the lake, the thought of the unconscious woman inside the compound occupying his mind. Hearing that Natasha didn't make it made Tony fear that Sue had suffered the same fate. He had to have hope in the Storm's return as it was his only comfort. If he thought too much about Natasha, he would begin to lose sight of their goal.

'Is it true?' Scott questioned. 'Was Sue really the one that saved her brother in space?'

'There's never been another explanation,' Bruce pondered, trying to think through his grief. 'But I don't understand how she was able to change the future while going into the past. It just doesn't make sense. I thought I had this worked out...'