53.

Sue took off with Steve, Clint and Natasha, while Thor, Johnny and Tony jumped into the air after the Sentry army. Bruce roared as he crashed through buildings to grab at robots that tried to crawl away. Wanda was able to protect the core while Pietro ripped through Sentries; his speed deeming him uncatchable.

'Boss, power levels are way below opt...' FRIDAY tried to warn Tony who flew around the rock that was the city.

'Reroute everything,' he said, the bottom of the rock beginning to crumble from the pressure of the stratosphere. 'We've got one shot at this. Thor, I'm gonna need you back in the church.'

Thor made sure with Steve that the lifeboats were secure before he headed to where Tony need him. Natasha was about to begin her lullaby for Bruce, who threw cars mindlessly to defuse his violent rage. But an unauthorised jet flew low and fired bullets at The Hulk, who roared at the pricks of pain he felt through his thick, green skin.

Johnny caught sight of the jet and with Tony and Thor busy with the core, he charged forward to follow it. His trail of flames stained the sky, and he was able to reach the aircraft within seconds. He flew next to it to look inside the cockpit and saw Ultron with his hands on the controls. Johnny dropped slightly in altitude and flew to the right so he could rip through the jet's belly. But Ultron saw the inferno out of the corner of his eye and turned the controls to a hard left, propelling the plane into a spin.

'I've got Ultron in a jet! He's headed-'

Johnny's message through the intercom was cut short as the wing collided with the side of his head. The pain sunk through his entire body and blood cascaded out of the wound that sliced through his temple. A cry of pain left his mouth and his flight lost momentum. His vision blurred and Johnny was sent spiralling down towards the city. His temperature cooled drastically until his fires fizzled out completely.

'Johnny?!' Sue yelled into her earpiece after his message was left unfinished. She waited to hear a reply but was met with static. She was too familiar with the noise, and searched the sky frantically for her brother.

Steve and Sue were about to board the last lifeboat Nick sent for the team, but her foot remained on the floating rock when she heard Johnny's voice in her ear. Steve whipped around and saw the panicked look on Susan Storm's face. He also heard Johnny's last message and put his hand to his ear as he looked back into the city.

'Storm, what's wrong?' Steve called into his earpiece but only heard the same static. Sue and Steve turned to each other, exchanging the same look of worry.

On the other side of the city, Ultron flew his jet and fired a round of bullets at Clint. The man had ran to help a boy who needed to be on one of the lifeboats. Clint shielded the child and clenched his eyes shut, expecting the rain of bullets to penetrate his flesh.

Shrapnel and shells pierced through Pietro Maximoff's body, who ran in front before Clint could be harmed. Crouched over the civilian, Clint opened his eyes and saw blood seep through Pietro's shirt. The Maximoff wobbled and sent one last whip of wit to the man who he feuded with.

'You didn't see that coming?' Pietro strained a smile, before he fell to the floor, his life draining through his fatal wounds.

Wanda sensed her twin's death and fell to her knees in despair. She let out a shriek of sorrow and her red mist penetrated the remainder of the Sentries around her. But with her heart ripped in two, a single robot was able to plant its hand on the vibranium core. The magnetic field was broken, and the city halted in its ascent. It began to fall back into the atmosphere, pieces of rock crumbling from the speed at which it plunged.

Bruce jumped into Ultron's jet and received an 'oh, for god sakes!' at yet another interruption. The mechanical being was thrown out of the driver's seat and Bruce took control of the aircraft, where Natasha would try to coo him back to the helicarrier. But the man had other plans for a stress-free getaway to Fiji.