Chapter XVI | Sanctuary for Endangered Nature

As soon as we entered the tiny structure, we stopped screaming and panicking because we were engulfed by the feeling and awe of memorization that the scenery and the aura of the mysterious place gave.

Water covered the entire place, and we flew a few metres above it on our flying carpet. We peeked down below, looking through the semi-clear water. Luminescent green leaves floated on the water's surface and, lightened up the entire pitch-dark abyss with its gleam alongside a strange gold and silver creature which slithered beneath the water's surface. We watched the mystifying creature swim right beneath us while trying our best to figure out what in the world of wonder it was.

Toivo took out a cluster of pink neon berries from the jute bag he held and threw it high in the air above the surface of the water.

The strange creature jumped up from the water's surface, revealing itself. It had an upper body similar to a wolf and a lion, with a fluffy mane of a lion and the snout and sharp ears of a wolf. The creature had gleaming golden furs and a pair of blue cat like-eyes reminded me of crystal-clear lakes. The other half of its body was similar to that of a fish, the scales were glassy silver and its fins swayed in the air like grey silk. The unknown creature grabbed the cluster of berries and dived back into the deep water, illuminating its surface by its shine once again as he swam through it.

"What was that?" I asked out of wonder.

"The Glorious Beast Whale," Toivo replied.

"The Beast whale! But it has gone extinct for years?" Galena stated.

"Many creatures have indeed gone extinct from the wild because of the hunt for the precious things that they carry but, I have carefully preserved many of them in my Sanctuary for Endangered Nature.

"The responsibility of the sanctuary was passed on to me by my father, who started and created this portable Sanctuary plus burrow for us to live in and any other endangered animals or any living being found by us to hide from the vicious eyes of the traitor king's army.

"My fathers used to say that Humans may betray you even if you serve them for thousands of years but, these innocent beings would never ever leave your side even after your death, and so I followed his footsteps. My father was the one who taught me to take care of these animals, the one with whom I found half of all creatures that I have discovered, the one who taught me to swordfight, climb trees, he was always there for me but...

"He has left me without warning, all by myself...just a few weeks ago..." Toivo went quiet, drops of tear slowly started to form in his eyes as he broke our eye contact and stared down at the carpet, trying his best not to break down as perhaps he recalled all those moments he had spent with his father, that perhaps could never be brought back, I felt him because I knew what it is like to feel the loss of suddenly losing someone whom you least expected or thought of them leaving your side as you smile, as you cry, as you giggle.

He cleared his throat and rubbed his eyes, "But my hopes had rejoiced when I knew about the prophecy of the sunrise sisters...about Mikellar being once again the joyful kingdom it was before: people having great times and showing kindness and empathy to each other-joking and teasing each other-and living without fear once again so, I planned that I will be one of the brave fighters who would stay at their sides, just as my father was by mine, and help them to conquer this impossible dreams of many and end the eternal darkness that entered the homes of ours,"

"I promise you that I will not disappoint you," I said to raise his hopes and make him confident that we shall have victory as the suffocating weight of such a great responsibility got heavier.

Flubber rubbed his head around Toivo's leg, and he chuckled and patted him. The carpet turned back towards the entrance, and we exited the tiny house.