Chapter Four

I should probably tell you a bit about myself, I'm fourteen years old, I live with my mum and dad and my big brother Mark. When I was ten years old my parents had another baby, after a week he was gone. My dad is the eldest of him and his sister, Aisha, he also had a brother who was taken but he managed to live a few years before the government discovered him. It was before they had come up with their big, fancy, expensive technology. I'm on my way to breakfast (the same for everyone. A small bowl of thick porridge) I'm hoping that my parents will let me buy some chemicals and herbs so I can test out some new medical theories of mine. I sit at the table and wait for them when my brother sits down. Aah yes. The very reason my name is ironic! You see Jamila Afdil comes from two words in Arabic meaning beautiful and better but of course I turned into a complete weirdo who manages to mess everything up. My brother on the other hand is this handsome, smart, sporty, golden child. I can sometimes hear my parents talking about how they wish I was more like him.
"No" Mum and dad had managed to say that in perfect unison, impressive!
"Why not though? I really want to test out a few theories. If I succeed then it could become revolutionary medicine!" They had just told me that I couldn't get the things I needed for my experiments. "Jamila, we've told you this time and time again. The government made it against the law to practise medicine, don't you remember what happened to your Auntie Aisha?"
"Of course I do it's just, how do they expect us to survive if we can't have our own doctors?"
"We have to pay for theirs. You can use the emergency hotline and they send a hovercraft to take you to the hospital" Was my fathers response once again. He sounds like he has memorised the advert they broadcast every night about why you shouldn't make medicine. I argued a lot about why I should be able to make medicine. He is never impressed. Well now that I have completed my morning argument, it's time to go to school.