Chapter Thirteen

Dead. I'm better off dead. Today we're sparing! And I'm terrible. It's my second day here at the facility and I'm still having problems with my memory. The counsellor says that it's because before I came to the facility my parents were well let's just say their punishments were a bit too brutal. Anyway I got a concussion which made me forget most things about my life before, the only things I remember are my name and how old I am. Everyone is like that here, they say it's because all of us were mistreated by our families and they eventually dumped us here where the government so kindly took us in and looks after us now. I made some friends, this boy called John who came here at the same time as me is quite nice. I sometimes hear the guards muttering that he's trouble but it's hard to believe that John would put one foot out of place. Since I'm one of the older children living here I became a mentor to a four year old boy called Oliver Afdil, yeah we have the same surname! Something feels familiar about him for some reason, he doesn't look like me though. I have dark brown hair and brown skin with emerald green eyes, the eyes are from my dad's side of the family...Wait my dad? I don't know how I remembered that. Anyway, Oliver has big blue eyes (also from our dad...Wait our dad? What is going on?) He has blond hair and rosy cheeks. He came here as a baby, lots of the people came here as babies. The government was worried because they saw that some parents weren't fit to be parents so they started doing checks and if your children were unhealthy or ill then you'd get given money to help make them better. When they came back if they were still unhealthy or ill then they'd get taken to the facility to be taken care of properly, the government just want what's best for us they would never do anything to hurt us.