Chapter Twenty Seven

I walk up to my parent's dead bodies. I was too late. My brother was right next to them, dead. I can't believe I couldn't save them. I start crying but stop as soon as I see Jack standing in the middle of the rubble. I don't hesitate. I shoot.

With a start, I wake up. The first thing that hits me is the sun, it is not sunset. "CRAP! JOHN! WAKE UP, YOU MORON!"

"Wasit? Oh that's not good"

"Thanks, Sherlock I never would've guessed that". I start the car and we race down the road at full speed. I'm just hoping that we get there before Jack and his army of lethal brainwashed kids do. "What are we going to do when we get there? I really don't think they'll be able to fight their own children."

"John you've got to stop pointing out the obvious, it's getting old". That was just to cover up the fact that I had no freaking idea what we were going to do I did a quick scan of the car and came up with a solution. "I know. If we find a safe place to hide all the people, we can wait for Jack and the others to arrive and then use the anti-serum gas to remind them of the truth." John thinks for a moment and then nods in agreement, "At least even if they don't remember they'll be knocked out because you can't change that, can you?" He says with a small smile. I turn to him with a shocked smile on my face. "Uh! The audacity! Did you just call me dumb John Sanders? How dare you!" We're both laughing at this point and I feel my troubles melting away. I decided there and then to stop myself hating John Sanders and allow myself to become friends with him. But even my budding friendship with John doesn't ease the knot in my stomach as I think about my dream and how it could be true already.