Chapter Eight

The choosing ceremony is out in the heat in the town square, the first thing you have to do is get checked in. This is where I meet Serena, "You ok J? Don't worry you're not going to be picked, they usually rig it so that people the government have problems with have their kids taken to teach them a lesson. Your parents have never done anything wrong, you'll be fine."
"How are you so calm though? Not to be rude but they don't exactly like your family" I was worried she would be taken for what her dad did. "If they wanted to take me they would have already so I don't stress and you shouldn't either. Come on, let's get checked in." We walked over to the check in centre. They take a blood sample and compare it with the one they took last month. You have monthly blood tests to make sure that you are the same person because the government wants to make sure that there are still the same amount of people in each house and also that no one is trying to overthrow them. After they let us in we go into groups with any family members that are also of age but since I'm the only one I stand alone. Sheikha Mariam then takes the stage and greets us with a warm smile that doesn't quite meet her eyes and then she says the dreaded words, "Ladies and Gentlemen, let the ceremony begin."