Chapter Twenty Four

Blood is trickling down the side of his face from the impact of the fall. I feel hollow on the inside but that hole soon fills up with rage as I turn to see Jack grinning. He really thinks he did something that will make me fall in line and behave. He is dead wrong. I pull out the sword I stole from the training arena and charge toward him. It's the first time I've seen Jack look a little bit scared. He aims his gun at me but I'm too fast. With one swift kick, it's fallen over the side of the bridge and he has nothing to defend himself. Sadly he has a knife that he pulls out but I just smile, it'll just make it that much more satisfying when I beat him because we were on a level playing field. He tries to stab me but what he doesn't know is that I've been studying his fighting so I know that he has no idea how to manage that knife, I know how to wield a sword though. I deflect his blow and strike the blade across his face, right where his burn is. A bit of a dirty move but he killed my brother. He falls to the floor in agony and John and I take that as an opportunity to race towards the garage where we hot-wired the car and took off. Jack must have raised an alarm though because as we started driving off 10 guards started shooting at us. "Can you stop them? If they continue the car will break". I could barely hear John as the wind roared in my ears. I took off my seatbelt and picked up a rifle that had been left in the back seat, stood up and started shooting. I wasn't aiming to kill only to injure them so that they wouldn't be able to shoot the tires. I took out the five main shooters and by that time we were out of shooting range. 

The rest of the journey goes smoothly until we reach the Capitol, who would have thought that the government would send their army to stop two 14-year-old kids?