Chapter Eleven

The next few days are a blur. The Capitol is so different from my life back home, here they have amazing, gourmet meals cooked by private chefs for every meal time. I even got to try dinner! And they have this incredible thing called dessert, it's sweet and you eat it after every meal here. There are no rules for the people they pretty much do whatever they want and there are no consequences. I finally know what these taxes are for as well. Since the Capitol is so luxurious they had to find a way to fund their party lifestyle so they came up with a solution, taxes. SunLife earns money from selling oil all around the world, the money we earn from it gets given to the Capitol and they split it evenly and give it back to SunLife for people's salaries. After about three days I get a letter requesting my presence at Sheikha Mariam's house, the presidential palace. When I arrive she gives John and I a "Quick Tour." She says, naturally it takes three hours. After visiting the 20 bedrooms, 25 bathrooms and so much more she sits us down in living room number 10. "I wanted to thank both of you for waiting so long to find out what exactly was happening and why you weren't dying. Since you won't remember this in a few hours I thought I would tell you." Not remember? What is she on about? "I want to thank you for your hospitality Sheikha Mariam. Your house is beautiful and the Capitol is incredible, everyone is so friendly! But I'm a bit confused, what do you mean we won't remember? Are we really going to die?" She gives me a smile but I'm sure she's just covering up the look of hatred her eyes are displaying. "My dear. Let me explain. Stop interrupting." She says the last sentence almost spitting out her words. "As I was saying, you all know about the famine and the rules that were put in place but there are some things you don't know for example: there are security drones, invisible to the naked eye but highly efficient. They detect anomalies and eliminate them, they use lasers to turn the problem to dust; they can see through walls and their lasers are so high tech that they only hit their target, if you're an innocent bystander then the laser will simply go through you." Talk about creepy stalkers! "There is also the rule where the children are taken to die, a small inconvenience. Anyway guess what? They never die!"