Chapter Twenty Eight

Even though I was incredibly worried about my family I couldn't ignore the fact that the scenery was gorgeous. I was used to the barren desert that was SunLife and now I'm in a tropical rainforest. You could hear birds chirping in the branches of trees with luscious green leaves, it was what I'd always wanted to see. I can't believe The Capitol was hiding this from us all this time, I know they want to control us but why? As we were driving a red parrot landed on the front of the car, it was stunning! It had blue, green and yellow underneath its wings. It moved its head and almost looked like it was staring directly at us; when it moved its wings it looked mechanical, almost like a robot. Without warning it flew at us and started stabbing us with its beak, I thought it would be fine because it was a normal bird but then I realised that it wasn't acting mechanical, it was mechanical. The Capitol had created robot birds to prevent people from travelling outside SunLife. They had razor-sharp beaks that penetrated our skin, the bird then lifted its head and chirped loudly altering all the other parrots and causing them to come and attack us too. Whilst John was still driving I opened my door and grabbed a large stick which I used to whack the birds away, I was a tad bit too late though. Their eyes were cameras so they were obviously being controlled by people in The Capitol or where we had been kidnapped to. They started hacking away at the bonnet of the car trying desperately to cut the wires so we couldn't move the car anymore, they had almost succeeded. I kept hitting the robot birds out of the way in an attempt to save the car but it wasn't working. More and more of these robots were appearing out of thin air and making it impossible to see where we were going, "Go to the left! We're about to hit that TREEEEEEE!" *CRASH!* I had been too late with my warning and the car now had smoke pouring out the side and was definitely not going anywhere anytime soon. You would think that after all that the birds had stopped. If you thought that then you would be dead... Wrong. They were still slicing at our skin with their razors for beaks and I knew we had to get out of there before they killed us, I grabbed everything we needed out of the car, grabbed John's arm and started running through the rainforest in an attempt to get rid of the birds or robots I guess. As we were running I noticed an area that had a lot of hanging vines and branches that obscured my view as to what was behind it, of course, I decided that would be the perfect place to run into. As we ran I started to notice the absence of bird noises, when I turned I saw that the parrots had disappeared. Obviously, they weren't prepared to risk losing one of their main defence systems. I started walking but John put out his arm to stop me and I noticed him panting and holding his shoulder. "Oh my god!"