Chapter Five

On my way to school I get the typical lecture from my brother about pestering my parents and how I should be focused on my school work. Then something weird happens. He hugs me. I stand there in shock for a moment wondering why he feels the need to hug me but then I remember that tomorrow is my first choosing day and it's his first year without one. "Eeeew!" I exclaim in a loose attempt to lighten the mood, "What's gotten into you?" He pulls away and I'm once again surprised, he's crying.
"I just want you to know that even though I'm sometimes rude and I boss you around I still love you, you're my sister and there's nothing I would do to change that" I almost burst out laughing at this comment because I'm convinced that I heard him a few years ago trying to come up with a plan to get rid of me. He continues though and is somewhat determined to top his hilarious comment with one so hysterical that as I'm trying to hold in my laughter a few tears come out, "You know that mum and dad love you too right? They just want to keep you safe, that's why they're hard on you sometimes." As the tears of silent laughter come out, he hugs me again. To escape the awkwardness of my annoying brother being nice for once I wriggle out and run away, "Bye annoying, weirdo man!" I scream whilst pointing at him so that everyone knows who I'm talking to. As I'm running I continue to look back when I suddenly trip. I look up to find Mariam, the Sheikha of our city and the person who picks the names out of the bowl. This can't be good.