Chapter Nine

After we sing the national anthem Mariam goes on to say what she says every year, you can practically see the audience mouthing it with her. She takes the same pauses and even pretends to wipe a fake tear at the exact same moment as... well for as long as I can remember! And then the dreaded moment begins. "So to remind the town of SunLife that the Capitol will forever be in charge we created rules, only four people allowed in each house; you all earn the same amount of money and you have to pay the Capitol each month 75% of what you earn and if you break these rules then there shall be terrible consequences. We also created a tradition to keep the town in check, every year one boy and one girl from the ages of 14-18 shall be taken to die. Ladies and Gentlemen let's find out who won the special trip to the Capitol...to die." She places her long, bony fingers inside the bowl and picks up a piece of paper, "Our boy is John Sanders." There is light applause as he walks onto the stage. Nobody likes John, it makes sense why they chose him though. His parents are always selling things on the black market but since they earn so much from it if they ever get caught they just pay people so, of course, this is the perfect opportunity to get rid of their business. Now it's time for the girl, my guess is Sara, her family is always talking about how the rules are unfair and that someone should change them so it would make sense if she got chosen. "And now for the girl." She picks up the paper, as she says the name I stop breathing "Please give a round of applause for John and Jamila!"