Chapter Thirty

I walked over to John covered in sweat, dirt and blood. He was still acting weird but I didn't expect anything different considering the size of his wound. "Can you stand up John? We really need to walk back". He nodded his head slowly and stood up, almost immediately though he leant on me because he was too sick to support himself. We started walking towards the path and thanks goodness the parrots had left. I hadn't noticed how close we were to the town, I could vaguely see the outline of the dome they had installed around the town to give it a 'depressing vibe'. We start walking in the direction of the dome, John keeps on blabbering away about random things and I start tuning him out until I hear this, "Did I ever tell you about the girl I always hope I would marry?" I am shocked to hear this, John has never mentioned a girl and I've never seen him with one either. "I don't think she's noticed that I'm in love with her. She's smart, brave, funny and so beautiful! She's got tanned skin, chestnut brown skin and gorgeous electric blue eyes. She's the only reason I want to survive, I just wish she knew how much I cared about her." I am very surprised to hear these words come out of his mouth but more surprised at his description. It kind of sounds like... Me? No. That's stupid! We're just friends, right? Anyway, I think it's sweet that he cares so much about someone although I do find it hard to believe that John hasn't already asked this girl out. He doesn't come across as a very shy person but then again I had no idea he even liked someone so...

We finally get to the dome where I press the button on the clicker thing we took from the car and a small car-shaped hole appears, when we walk through I am so relieved to see that everything looks normal. I see no destruction or fire and all the buildings look fully intact. I increase my pace but still make sure that John can keep up. As we start walking through the town people start to recognise us until we finally reach the town centre where our families are. "Jamila? What?!" My mother looks shocked to see me, "I knew there wasn't something right about that whole thing! What's going on? Are you okay?" I quickly tell everyone everything and they look outraged, before they can say anything though John faints, drama queen. "Quick I need a place to fix John's shoulder! He got shot and then the bullet got ripped out by these robot parrots. Does anyone have any medical supplies?" My dad motions for me to follow him and we go into our house. I never noticed before but we had a big cupboard and when my dad opened it, it was filled with medical supplies. "After your Auntie Aisha was arrested I took all of her things in case I ever needed them, I hope this helps you fix your friend". He walked off and I got to work.

I removed the bandage and it was bad. I had forgotten how bad the wound actually was so when I saw it again I started getting really worried. I cleaned the wound and tried to remove all the dried-up blood. I was worried about damaging the bone but all that worry went away as soon as I saw the skin around the wound...