Fiftieth Corpse: What Was Iwo Jima's Pride? (1)

"Oh? I don't know what you mean-there was no fight."

Fiftieth Corpse | What Was Iwo Jima's Pride? (1)

[ISSM: Day 1 | October - Year 1, Term 2]

"Did you get any sleep?" Quin questioned in concern after witnessing me stifle the umpteenth yawn during breakfast in the morning before the start of the inter-school tournament.

I stiffened when four extra pairs of eyes turned my way following his question, avoiding their gazes to glare at him accusingly. His expression twisted in innocent confusion and my irritation faded away as I sighed and waved a hand, "I got enough, don't worry about it."

That was of course a blatant lie. I hadn't slept the night of that incident, and I'd only slept for about three hours last night, but that wasn't something I needed anyone knowing about. I don't need them forming weirder ideas than they likely already have-

"I didn't realize Rivera was so shaken up by those events," Saeko murmured with a touch of concern.

-like that one.

"You can rest assured, there's no way such a thing will happen again now that the teachers have stepped in. Even if it did, I can very well keep my fellow female students out of harm's way," Saeko continued speaking firmly, without any ill will, but I only felt my head sinking lower, my chin almost tucked into my chest as I slouched slightly.

Kill me now.

The weight of the stares upon me increased with her words and I really did contemplate seppuku seriously for a bit.

A hand gripped mine under the breakfast table and I glanced at Quin beside me as he gave me a questioning, worried gaze. I dislodged my hand from his to pat the back of his hand twice as if to say, 'I'm alright', offering a small, reassuring smile and nod. A doubtful look crossed his features but he didn't make any more inquiries after I pinched his side painfully out of spite. I looked up after reassuring Quin and my eyes met Saeko's from her position on Quin's other side which was obliquely opposite me. Her gaze seemed to carry a touch of ice that wasn't there before, and I could even swear there was a faint furrow between her brows. I blinked and when I opened my eyes, her lips were curved in a graceful, goddess-like smile toward me that had me questioning my previous impression.

Am I so tired I'm seeing things?

The weird moment was brushed off by me and after a few more puzzled glances her way, I turned my attention to my breakfast, finishing up and helping to take our dishes back to the kitchen. The staff there seemed astonished when Quin, Hisashi and I walked over with the stacked up dishes, like it was something new and strange to see others picking up after themselves. I suddenly felt sorry for the staff of Iwo Jima-there's no way a bunch of delinquent brats like these know how to appreciate the hard work of these pitiful workers...

My thoughts of course had nothing to do with my lingering envy and grievances toward the difference in service between our two schools, nope. Not at all. Not even slightly. Ha...

When I surfaced from my petty thoughts, I realized that it was only Hisashi and I standing outside the kitchen door-Quin had vanished. My eyes widened in panic and I looked around frantically for my favorite beanstalk.

"The staff asked for his help with changing a light bulb," Hisashi's amused explanation drew me from my zealous search and my eyes reflexively glanced his way. He was already looking at me, his lips curved in a gentle smile that only served to make me flustered for whatever reason. I turned away, sucking in a sharp breath but my cursed oxygen decided to betray me, hitting my throat badly and sending me into a coughing fit. I hunched over slightly, covering my lips. From the corner of my eyes I noticed Hisashi disappearing and I squeezed my eyes shut as they started stinging for a reason other than my uncontrollable coughs.