Forty Second Corpse: A Mother Bird Sister...

"What are you people even daydreaming about?!"

+++

Forty-Second Corpse | A Mother Bird Sister

+++

We took a little over an hour to make it back to our 'base', and when we did, Dante was awake. He paled slightly when he saw Thomson holding Yamada before his eyes turned anxious and accusing. Then his gaze fell on Mia and me and he blinked.

"This is my brother, Yamada," I explained, understanding that he probably misunderstood what he was seeing. He clearly had zero trust for males, but he still had the capacity to be concerned for one as 'helpless' as Yamada probably seemed in Thomson's arms—such a sight made me want to sigh both helplessly and in relief. I felt helpless because I knew there wasn't a way for me to help Dante with his trauma, relieved because I understood now that his trauma hadn't completely consumed him and turned him into a hateful person.

"Oh..." he mumbled softly, his cheeks flushing slightly red with what I believed was shame. He coughed lightly before mumbling, "Thanks for the medicine...it really helped..."

Thomson's expression seemed to lighten, and he nodded to Dante's words, not saying anything.

"Is Tachibana okay?" Remi gasped softly when she spotted Yamada.

"As far as we can tell, yes," Thomson answered her as he placed the one in question onto his 'bed'—it was really just a few blankets folded up to form a sleeping mat. He must have prepared it when he came back earlier, and the thought made me smile slightly at the big, infuriating softie. He stood and turned to me, seeing my expression. He gave a light smirk before blowing a kiss my way that totally shattered the moment of appreciation and made me snort and roll my eyes as I turned to the second order of business, "This is Mia, she was with Yamada. Mia, this is Remi and Dante—they're with me."

"So what? I don't get an introduction too?" Thomson asked, pouting childishly even as his eyes glittered in amusement.

"This is our guard dog, Thomson," I introduced sweetly.

"Arf arf, do I get a treat for doing a good job?" Thomson exclaimed with a grin as he walked up to me and I snorted and pushed his face away from mine with a palm.

"Down, boy," I said mockingly, my mood lighter than it had been in a while to the point where I had zero annoyance to his usually insufferable presence.

Thomson only chuckled before poking my forehead, "Now that all's well, I'll get going and get us some supplies," he stated, "Look after the kids while I'm gone, honey!" Before I could react, he kissed my cheek and disappeared through the door, poking his head back in to wiggle his eyebrows at me. I threw the closest thing I could reach at his face but unfortunately, he dodged.

"Asshole..." I muttered with an exasperated sigh before turning to face Remi's pouting features and Mia's glittering eyes. "What?" I asked, confused.

"You two seem close," Mia commented, her lips curving up into a smirk that stunned me as Saya's image seemed to blur into hers for a moment. I blinked rapidly and they misunderstood my daze with Remi even gasping and grabbing my arm.

"What about big brother?" She whined, "Are you really gonna choose such an old man over my brother?"

My mind went blank as I realized why they were looking at me funny. I almost choked. "Ew, no! What are you people even daydreaming about?!" I yelled, feeling my face burn, "And who the heck said Kai was even a consideration?!" I scowled at Remi and Mia, huffing slightly when they both revealed sheepish expressions upon realizing that I was completely serious.