Thirty Fifth Corpse: A Plan To Make

❝Like I need to hear that from a giant dumbass like you!❞

+ + +

Thirty Fifth Corpse | A Plan To Make

+ + +

[Z-day +9 | Apr. 23 | 05:03hrs]

See, the thing about anger is that it made you do stupid shit sometimes. Sometimes you'll punch a wall or something and then realize 'oh, a wall doesn't feel the pain I do', or you'll kick something and realize 'oh, my foot definitely can't shift that much weight, there go the bones in my foot' or you'll be like me the next day, bruised, bloody and stiff.

The amount of pain I woke up in was enough to make me feel like I'd gone several rounds with a fucking freight train and it was far from pleasant when you can't even fold your damn arms without feeling like everything is tearing in your elbow and upper arm. But yeah, that's what happened to me. And that's why I had to be carried back to the mansion on Victor's back, like hunted game.

That tree must feel so smug right now.

Tree: 1; Katya: 0

"Never let me fight with a tree ever again," I mumbled in resignation as my head hung limply over Victor's shoulder as he carried me carefully since I couldn't wrap my arms around him. His first choice was actually a bridal style carry but I utterly refused to look even weaker than I already did and in my opinion that was the weakest right there.

"In my defense, I didn't know you'd go Mayweather on a tree and it was too dark for me to really take in your condition when I found you," Victor said awkwardly, carefully navigating under branches so I wasn't smacked in my defenseless head, or otherwise further injured. "If I'd known, you'd have been back at the mansion last night, even if I had to drag you. Hopefully your god-sister has something to help you heal faster. With you like this, you're too vulnerable for the mainland."

I grimaced at his words. He was right and that made me curse myself even worse. So many delays had already occurred and here I was giving myself another one thanks to my inability to emotionally cope. Emotions were such a bitch to deal with sometimes.

"I can't not go to the mainland, Vix," I reminded him, "My brother--"

"I know, I know," he interrupted. "Don't worry, I'm not going to tell you that you can't go looking for him, but I am telling you that I'm coming with you."

"You don't have to," I reminded him.

"But I do want to," he countered, "Someone has to keep you out of trouble, right?"

"You're asking for the impossible there," I snorted, "But you're more than welcome to try. I'm sure a few people have some choice words about the way I've handled the newcomers so I don't exactly know where I stand as far as allies within the group go."

"You weren't wrong to be suspicious, Kat," Victor pointed out, "You know better than most what this kinda situation does to people. If the others don't understand that, then they don't understand you."

I went quiet after that, not quite sure what else there was to say. Because he wasn't wrong about that either. If they couldn't see where I was coming from then they really didn't know me at all. Whether I was being harsh or not, I still had my reasons for being wary.

We made it back to the mansion without any hitch, and Victor took me straight to Shizuka, waking her up even though I told him not to.

"What were you thinking, Cho?" Shizuka asked worriedly as she cleaned the split flesh on my knuckles carefully while I pursed my lips tightly to keep from waking Alice who stayed in a room with Shizuka.