Ninth Corpse: The Truth

❝What is wrong with you people?! He hasn't even been gone for three days!❞

+ + +

Ninth Corpse | The Truth

+ + +

[Z-day +1 | Apr. 15 | 20:08hrs]

I was so deep within the throes of my torment that I couldn't wake up on my own. Instead I was violently shaken awake, my bloodshot eyes snapping wide open as I sat up with a gasp, breathing rapidly and sweating like there was no tomorrow.

"You're finally awake," Quinton breathed out in relief as his face popped up into my line of sight.

Disoriented and confused did not cover what I was feeling as I sat there breathing heavily. Quinton reached out towards me but instead of him, I saw Dominik. At the back of my mind I was able to register that it wasn't Satan's Advocate but...

I slapped his hand away from me, then pushed him off the bed where he was no longer so close to me.

I needed space.

He toppled backward with a yelp and slammed into the ground. I snatched up the blanket around my waist and hugged it tightly to my chest, trembling.

"Ow," Quinton groaned, "What the heck was that for?"

He looked up at me and went still. His eyes softened and he slowly sat up from his position before pulling himself back onto the bed. "Kat?" He called out to me quietly, keeping a respectful distance away. "Can you tell me what's wrong?"

"Why?" I bit out harshly. "So you can just go report back to my father?!"

His eyes flashed with something too quick for me to recognize before he swallowed and shook his head, "No, so I can help you," he said quietly.

"Help me?" I echoed with a scowl, "You wanna help me? So I'm your charity case now, that it?"

His jaw clenched. "No, I never said that. You're being unreasonable."

"I'm being unreasonable?" I ground out, "You spy on me for over a year for my father and call me a ki--" my voice broke and I looked away from him. "Just leave me alone, Quin..." I finally breathed out tiredly, shaking my head in disappointment. "I don't wanna talk to you or even be in the same room as you..."

"You hate me that much?" He asked quietly and I scoffed, still not looking at him, words tumbling out of my mouth before I had the good sense to not say them.

"That would have made my life so much easier..." I muttered bitterly, glaring at him.

His eyes snapped wide and his lips parted in surprise. My spine stiffened when I realized that I'd practically just admitted that I didn't hate him.

"Get out," I said flatly, turning away from him.

"Katya wait--"

"Just please go!" I practically begged, squeezing my eyes shut.

The room was silent for a moment before I heard the bed creak. His weight left the mattress and the soft padding of his feet against the floor met my ears. The sound moved further away and I heard the rattle of a door knob before the door creaked open. Moments later it shut with a soft click and I let out a shuddering breath, opening my eyes.

My grip on the sheet eased up and I let it fall back to the bed, pressing my palm to my face. I dragged it across my face and wiped away what remained of my tears, letting my fingers rest over my mouth and breathing in deeply through my nose.