Forty Fourth Corpse: A Time To Live .I.

"Remi's going to love all the thought you put into this."

+++

Forty-Fourth Corpse | A Time To Live .I.

+++

[Z-day+21| May.05 | 08:19Hrs]

"Hey, Sprout, pay attention," I heard Thomson call out for the umpteenth time, drawing my attention to where he was explaining to Remi simple ways to escape someone's hold when they were bigger than you

"Hey, Sprout, pay attention," I heard Thomson call out for the umpteenth time, drawing my attention to where he was explaining to Remi simple ways to escape someone's hold when they were bigger than you. Practice had started almost twenty minute ago and I've already lost track of the number of times I'd heard Thomson calling out to Remi in an attempt to get her to focus. I usually wouldn't have noticed while I was focused on teaching Dante, however her name was like a activation code for him—he responded as soon as he heard her name each time, becoming distracted as he stared in her direction to make sure she was alright. It got to the point where I couldn't attract his attention anymore so I huffed out a breath and called out for a break, just so I could check on her and confirm that she was okay so Dante could stop getting distracted.

"I'll go make sure that the things Red is teaching her virgin pupil are actually sticking this time," Thomson spoke up, excusing himself so I could talk to Remi. His words made me roll my eyes as I wondered if he ever said anything nice about other people, or at least something even the slightest bit capable of being described as polite.

Although, I guess he did have a good idea checking on Mia and Yamada—the latter's progress was appalling even compared to the current 'baby' of the group—Remi. Blame it on love. Ew.

Dante followed me as I approached Remi, not concealing the way he examined her from head to toe like a worried parent before sighing in relief. Moments later his relief was replaced by a puzzled frown. Just like him, I was also puzzled. Clearly, she had no external injuries but her absentminded, sluggish expression indicated that something was indeed wrong.

"Hey there, Remi," I greeted her softly, trying to attract her attention.

"Hmm...Hi," She mumbled before sighing lightly and aiming her gaze upward at the sky.

My gaze on her turned strange and I glanced at Dante to find him glancing back at me with just as much confusion and cluelessness. I tilted my head toward her questioningly, but he squinted and shook his head, raising his shoulders slightly in an 'I don't know either' gesture. We ended our silent conversation and turned our attention back to Remi.

"Is everything okay with you?" I asked her in a gentle tone which was reserved specifically for her and Alice. "Do you feel unwell or in pain anywhere?"

My tone seemed to touch something in her mind and her gaze finally cleared up as she turned and glanced between Dante and me, before looking sheepish. Her lips hooked up in an apologetic smile and her brown eyes deepened with guilt, "I'm sorry, am I worrying you? I'm okay, really!"