The Aftermath, Part 1

Hellloo, I am sorry for not updating in so long, life got in the way and some major changes have happened. I'm getting back into writing, I plan on finishing this story soon and possibly writing a sequel. If that's something you'd be interested in, please let me know! If you're a returning reader, thank you. If you're new here hi! Thanks for visiting :D 

Hope you all enjoy xoxo, Lily

⚠️⚠️TW: Mention of rape, sexual assault⚠️⚠️

Mason's pov

Awhile after playing with our toy downstairs, we came back up. Jessie was still asleep on the couch, but K&R were nowhere to be seen or heard. I sat next to Jessie and she woke up enough to snuggle up to me before drifting back to sleep. Chad went into the kitchen and came back out with Charlie trailing behind him. He headed upstairs, presumably to the little school.

I scrolled through my email, stroking Jessie's head absentmindedly. The confirmation email from the OB was in my inbox, and I read through it, making sure I was fully prepared. Then I read up on the possibilities the doctor said Jessie could have, and the ectopic pregnancy seemed the most likely. I also read that if it wasn't resolved, it could be fatal. Great. That's just what I wanted to hear. I pulled Jessie closer to me, wishing I could fix it with a wave of my hand.

A few hours later, we were all sitting at the table for dinner. W&V whipped up a celebratory dinner. There was mashed potatoes, pasta, shrimp, crab, lobster, steak, scallops, and veggies. God this looks incredible. Jessie only ate the mashed potatoes, and plain pasta with butter. She said if she ate the other food, it would make her sick.

At one point when she was talking to Katie, Chad leaned over to me and whispered: "Katie told me that Jessie's eating habits have been all over the place. Sometimes she ate a ton, other times barely anything. And she occasionally ate things she doesn't usually like." I nodded, feeling torn between relief that this wasn't new, but also wondering if it had to do with her stomach or something else. I enjoyed a bit of everything, and the scallops were especially good. For dessert we had an ice cream sundae bar, and we watched a movie. The girls picked Barbie Fairytopia, and I'm a little mad at how good it was.

Soon we all went to our rooms. I sat Jessie down and explained to her about tomorrow.

"We're leaving here at about 10:15 AM, you have an appointment at 11am. They're gonna take a look at you, but baby. There's a chance you could need an emergency surgery." I saw the fear in her face, but I wanted her to be prepared. "I know, it's scary. I'm scared too. But I'm gonna be right by your side the entire time, and Mike may come as well. That way you'll never be alone." She nodded, looking away.

I stood up and offered my hand, leading her to the bathroom to get ready for bed. We each brushed our teeth, and I combed through her hair. "Tomorrow morning we'll shower before we head out, okay?" She should be as clean as possible for the doctor.

"Okay" she replied. "Daddy?"

"Mhm?" I finished combing her hair.

"I not tired yet."

I sighed, worried about this, but not wanting to wake her up when she was sleeping earlier.

"Want me to read you a bedtime story?" I offered. She nodded eagerly and rushed into the bed, trying to hide her wince of pain but I caught it. I didn't say anything. She got comfy and looked at me expectantly.

"Okay," I said, turning off the bathroom light. "What book?" I asked as I shut the door behind me and walked over to my side of the bed.

"The Princess and the Pea?" She asked softly. I grabbed my iPad and googled the story, clicking on the first one that came up. She snuggled up to me and I began reading aloud to her, glancing at her every few lines to make sure she was awake. We ended up finishing the story, and I put the iPad on the side table, then turned off the light. I turned back and spooned her, inhaling the now re-familiar scent of her hair.