Travel

Mikey's pov

I stare at the clock, waiting for the bell to ring, signaling the end of the last class of the day. I know Jessie must be anxious too. I don't notice I'm tapping my foot until the girl in front of me turns around giving me a dirty look.

Finally the bell rings. I grab my keys and bag and head to The Spot where I see Jessie waiting. She starts bouncing excitedly when she sees me. I smile as I walk up to her, and she's grinning from ear to ear.

"C'mon Mikey!!!" I let her grab my hand to see where she leads me. We get to the parking lot before she realizes she doesn't know which car is mine.

"It's blue" I tell her, and she looks around, then scowls at me as she sees that half the cars in the lot are blue.
I lead her to mine, a Blue Nissan 350z.

She gapes once she sees what car is mine

"WOAH YOUR CAR IS SO COOL!!!"
I smile it her and we get inside. I start it up then turn to her and wait patiently. It's a minute before she realizes I'm looking at her and she turns to look at me.

"What?" She questions and I raise my eyebrow. "Seatbelt please" I say, kind of stern.

"Oh sorry!" She buckles up and soon we're on the road. After about 30 minutes of driving, she gets fidgety. Finally I ask her what's wrong.

"I hungry and I gotta pee" she says. I get off the highway, heading to a Wendy's. "Tell me what you want, then go pee." I instruct. She tells me then runs off to the bathroom.

I look at the person behind the counter who's waiting with a bored look on their face. I order a 4 for 4 for Jessie with a burger and a sprite. For myself I get a Dave's triple with a Coke and fries.  There's no way we're eating in my car so I grab a table that she'll see from the bathroom.

Jessie's pov
I'm washing my hands, thinking about my food and tonight's auction. After I'm done drying them I walk out of the bathroom. I look out the window of the Wendy's and see a silver car speeding away, but I shrug and walk to where Mike is sitting.

He's looking at something intently on his phone and jumps a little when I sit down. I sit and wait for him to give me my food. When he doesn't notice, I kick him under the table.

"Ow!" He says and I stick my tongue out at him and pout.

He hands me my food. "Sorry little bug. I was looking at the auction website. It looks like you can still sign up. Do you want to?"

I chew on my straw, thinking about it. I look at him and shrug, nervous. He looks at me concerned.

"How bout you decide by the time you're done eating, yeah? I nod and start eating my nuggets.

A few minutes go by and I see Mikey is done eating. He's still looking at his phone. I finish up and tap his hand.

"Yes little bug?" I tell him I want to sign up. He nods and signs me up. I giggle a little and throw away my food stuff. We get back in the car and start driving.

Another hour passes before we get off the highway. I start getting a little shaky but Mikey sends me a reassuring smile. We turn down a long road that soon gives way to a huge light green building. I see all sorts of fancy cars and men in suits. I slump down in my seat trying to hide. Then I see that silver car again. It's probably just the same model.

We park and go around back, following signs that say 'Little Drop-off'. I start whining and I tug on Mikey's shirt. He bends down and sees how worried I am. He was always good at reading me.

"Maybe you should just be my daddy" I blurt out. He freezes and I realize what I said and I hide my face and start crying.

"I-i didn't mean that I'm scared I s-orry"
He wipes my tears and rubs my head. "Jess it's okay. I understand you're scared. But just think about it. You could get a daddy tonight. Ilq really amazing one. I was reading the website and they go through very strict screenings and background checks before even being allowed on the property. Tonight could change your life little one."

I smile through the years and nod. He's right. Another thought comes to me though. "Will you take me back home if no one buys me?"

"Of course," he answers, "and I won't leave until you're safely in your new daddy's car."
I nod at his words and tell him I'm ready. He walks up to the door and gets me checked in. "you're all set, you can head inside." the lady tells us.

I start tearing up again. Mikey picks me up and hugs me. I wrap my legs around him, cling to his body. "will u visit me and still be my best friend?!?!"

"Of course I will, bug. Anytime you want. Plus maybe you'll still go to school yeah?."

I nod and he puts me down.
"Byebye Mikey"
"Byebye bug"

I head inside, and freeze in shock and what I see.