Part 26

"Mom! Wake up, breakfast is done!". I open my eyes to see an exited Ev above me laughing. I'm still worried, I can't forget about what happened yesterday... I was hoping to wake up and realize that all this was a dream, but it isn't. The day came and I'm not ready for it. I'd rather just stay at home and spend a nice day with my family. But I can't have that, not now. Now I have to tell Everleigh the truth. "Mornin baby!", I hug her. As she jumps into my bed I get to the side so she can sit next to me. "We need to talk cutie.", I say, now in a stricter tone. I don't want to scare her, but I want her to know that I'm not joking, I'm serious, dead serious. "Did I do something wrong mom?". She looks at me with those blue puppy eyes she has. It's awful! "No, no, no, not at all...", I take her right hand. "I wanted to talk to you about your dad...", Ev seems to get more confused every time I say something, and I don't blame her. We avoid talking about him, she hates talking about him because she doesn't want to accept the fact that he's gone. Well...was gone. "He's back baby, your father  is back...", I slightly smile at her by seeing her reaction. She gasps. "Is this a joke...?"
"Please tell me you're not lying mom, please...please tell me we're going to be a happy family again..."
Happy family.
"I'm not lying Ev, he's back. But we'll not be able to be this happy family again.", I look her straight into the eyes to see her reaction. I want to know how she feels, what she feels...I want to help her how she helped me when I felt alone and hopeless. "But- this isn't fair...", she cries. I can see her eyes turn red from the hurtful tears that were flowing down her red cheeks. I can feel the pain she's feeling right now of a dream of hers not coming true. "I don't want it to be this way mom...I don't want him to be with another woman...I want him to be with us...with you me and the twins!". Her voice raises every time she says another sentence.
"He's going to be with you and your siblings...", I try to comfort her while rubbing her hair. She just tightly hugs me, I hug her back. I know she needs this. "I don't want to mom, not without you!", she sobs into my baby blue Pyjama shirt. I hate seeing her like this! But I can't do anything. I can't change things.
I pull her chin up for her to reveal her tiny cute red face with a bit of her hazel brown hair on it. I start to wipe her tears away as I ask her: "do you think you're ready to meet him?".
"Not today...tomorrow... please", I just nod, I mean, I can totally understand her and it really is ok. "Sure.", I answer and give her a peck on the forehead. "I need to go in two hours though, and he's going to be at the DEO so, if you want to you can stay with your auntie Lena."
"What!? But you know I always go with you to your ultrasounds!"
"But you don't want to go!"
"We'll now I changed my mind, mom. I'll meet him but not his wife."
"Alright.", I nod. "Now let's go breakfast."

***

"I think Mike is a good name, mom. And my personal favorite name for my baby sister is Maddy.", Ev tells me next to Bella from the backseat of the car. Alex is driving to the DEO for the ultrasound, Maggie had to go to the police station though. We've been singing and talking for 15 minutes now, we should arrive in a couple of minutes though. I look back to see Everleigh. She's wearing blue sweatpants and a white sweat shirt, she's been begging me to let her wear a t-shirt but it's march and in national city still a little cold for her to wear a shirt. Her hair is in two buns. She just looks cute. Since we went out she's been telling me how exited she is to meet Mon-el. I've never seen her so exited before, never!
"Maddy, huh?"
"Yeah."
"I like this name too!", Bella then says. I nod smiling.
"I'm so exited! Tomorrow we'll learn our new duet for nationals!!!". That's also something. Ev's and Bella's love to dancing has only grown. They won't stop talking about their duets! The good thing is that they always place in the top five and their teacher is amazed by them! Everleigh is obsessed with her other friend Daniel. They go to the same school and they take dancing lessons together. I like the boy and his mom, I even like his stepbrother! But his stepfather... he's a little weird, I don't feel comfortable when he's near Everleigh.
"I'm doing a solo at nationals mom! Sadly I'll go up against Daniel, but it's ok, I don't care if I win, I just want to have fun.", I look back and smile at her.
"We're here.", Alex says. I get out of the car, open the door on Ev's side and then open the door on Bella's side. Quick enough I feel Everleigh's tiny hands around my arm. "Mom-", she starts, but I cut her of and kneel down to her . "Don't worry, everything is ok. Nothing will go wrong."
"But, what if I changed my mind?"
"Did you?"
"Nah..."
"Ok, then let's get going!",I stand up look at Alex, who's been standing with Bella in front of throughout this whole conversation and keep walking. We enter the building, then enter the lift and wait.
Wait.
Wait.
Wait.
Those thirty seconds we stood in there were like a whole eternity to me! Stepping out of the lift Alex immediately walks to the room I'm about to have the ultrasound in and Bella goes to the 'kids room' as we call it. I can already see him. His dark brown hair, those blue eyes... him...
He starts walking towards us in a slow way. Like he's walking towards a bunny who could run away by any hectic move or wrong step you do... every time he goes a step nearer to us Everleigh starts taking a step back. When he arrives Ev is hiding behind my legs. "I lied to you mom, I changed my mind, I don't want to meet him anymore...I'm scared mom...", she tells me literally in front of Mon el, who's now keeling down in front of us. I kind of feel bad for him. I don't know how I would react if Ev said that she's scared of me. "Oh, don't be scared, it's me your dad!", Everleigh gives quick look before she starts taking baby steps to him. I have to smile while seeing this, but my smile quickly fades away as I see his wife a couple of meters behind him. What a dirty look she gave me! What an awkward moment... I look back to see Mon el and Everleigh hugging! Awww....

Suddenly I can feel Mon el staring at me surprised, which make quite uncomfortable

Suddenly I can feel Mon el staring at me surprised, which make quite uncomfortable. But well, at least he's noticing me. He stands up and starts walking up to me. Arrived I feel his warm touch on my belly. Shoot, the twins! I forgot to tell him!
"You're pregnant..?", I want to say something but I don't know what. I could just answer him yes, but it would make him ask himself why I didn't tell him. I would have a right answer to this question though... so I guess it's the right answer then, right..? I'm about to answer him when I get interrupted by Everleigh. "Yup, those are your babies. They're kind of going to bond all of us even more. Get used to it."
"Ev!"
"Sorry mom..."
I look at Mon el, waiting for a response, or just a reaction. I want him to do something, say something! Rao, that's embarrassing....
"They're yours...", I say to finally break the silence, I don't even know why I said that, really! Didn't Everleigh just say they're his? Never mind.
"They? Twins?", he seems even more surprised now than before. I can't blame him.
"Uhm, yes- I...I'm sorry I didn't tell you yesterday...", is the only thing I manage to say. Not a second later I feel his warm carrying hug. "Thank you...", he whispers into my ears. I just know I have to enjoy this, cause this is the hug I expected when I first met him yesterday, this is the hug not just me, but he deserved. This is the hug I've been needing for these seven months. "I missed you so much..." I say loud enough for just him to hear me. I don't want this Imra to hear me, the look she's giving us is already bad enough. "I missed you too...", he answers. He's crying.... He means it because he's crying....
Our hug breaks as we hear Imras voice. Awesome, she has to ruin this moment. "Hey guys, what's happening?"
"She's pregnant Imra, she is pregnant!", I have to smile while seeing how he is. I cannot say the same about Imra though, I mean, I didn't expect her to jump up in joy but, come on, she could've at least smiled. "Oh....congratulations.", is the only thing she says, then looks down to Ev. It's the first time they meet and not just me, everyone can see how amazed Everleigh is to meet her. Just in case, I mean it sarcastically. "Hi, I haven't met you before! I'm Imra!", she gives her hand to Everleigh, but Ev doesn't respond to that, instead she just answers:
"I know.", I have never and I mean never experienced Everleigh so coldly. She usually is this kind, lovely and respectful little girl, and I know she told me she didn't want to meet her but I didn't expect it to go this way. Anyway, it's her decision, I can't force her to like anyone she clearly doesn't like. But deep inside I know it's just because it's Imra and not even I can stand her. Well, I secretly can't stand her. No one needs to know this.
"I'mma go get Bella, we'll wait for you with auntie Alex, alright mommy?", I nod, and see her run away towards the 'kids room'. "Where's she going?", Mon asks. "Well, we were about to have an ultrasound...you wanna come?"
"I'd love to!", he says. We're about to start walking when again Imra interrupts us. "Can I go to?", she asks. "Uh, sure..."