𝚝𝚛𝚘𝚞𝚋𝚕𝚎 𝚊𝚝 𝚜𝚌𝚑𝚘𝚘𝚕

𓅷

Imogen Halstead (15 years old)
Word count: 1776

Imogen's POV

I hate school. Loathe it even. I just hate it.

My friends seem to manage perfectly fine, yet I find myself sat at the back of the class, my ruler under the lines of unfamiliar words which never stop moving, or disappearing, or changing... How can I focus when all I see is a jumbled up mess? How can I complete my work if I can't... read?

             I look up from my seat, noticing that the teacher is already talking about the next question of our practice exam.  I haven't even finished writing an answer to the first question.  All I've written is a line, a whole line.  And even that took me ten minutes.  Between the words disappearing on my paper, and the lines blurring into one mass of confusion... I'm at a loss.

As I dwell on my defeat, once again, I'm saved by the bell as it blares through the intercom. Before mrs Clarke can give me an overdue lecture on my extremely low grade which has dropped drastically within the span of a month, I dash out of the classroom and head for the bathroom. Schools exhausting and I need a break...

For what seems like eternity, I am sat on the toilet lid staring off into the abyss. Why is school so goddamn difficult? Why can't I just... read? I feel so inferior right now. I've been struggling for a while, but it's never been this bad. Usually, I can suffer through it, and if I concentrate hard enough the words stay still for more than a second so I know what I'm doing. But it's tiring, and I'm in desperate need of a long nap. However, now I find that even concentrating as hard as I do doesn't even help anymore. The words on my page have a mind of their own, and I don't know how to make it stop.

            The bell rings loudly, snapping me out of my trance like state.  I've been contemplating going home for half an hour now.  My next period is maths, and we're currently studying algebra... but I can't read nevertheless write.  The frustration takes over and before I know it my legs are leading me down the hall and out of the door.  I feel a pair of eyes following me as I exit the school, and I know it's sally, our school secretary.  But I'm over it, I'm done trying my hardest and it getting me nowhere... I hate school.

Jays POV

"Any LKA's?" Hank folds his arms as he scans the team. Everyone shakes their head as I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket, I nod at hank and step into the break room, pulling the phone up to my ear.
Jay: "halstead"
Caller: "hello, is this the Father of Imogen?"
Jay: "it is, is she okay?"
Caller: "we're not sure, she walked out after lunch"
Jay: "she did? Where'd she go?"
Caller: "we don't know, sir. She began running before we could catch up to her"
Jay: "okay, well uh, I'll deal with it. Thank you"
Caller: "no problem sir, have a great day now"

            Anger and worry rushes through my blood as i join my friends in the bullpen, yet hank is nowhere to be seen, "tell Voight I'm taking a personal" I look over to see hailey writing on the blackboard.  She looks over her shoulder and nods in confusion, yet I wander down the stairs giving no explanation.  How can I explain when I too have no idea...?

             The second I pull up to the front of my home, I notice that the gate is closed, meaning Imogen is inside of that house.  With anger rushing through my veins, I storm into the house and head straight for the stairs.  She better have a good excuse for this...