𝚒𝚗𝚟𝚒𝚜𝚒𝚋𝚕𝚎

𓃗

Imogen Halstead (age 16)
Word count: 2259

Imogen's POV

Am I invisible? Can anyone see me? Hear me? Am I that ignorable? Am I a even real person? Because it sure as hell feels like I'm living in a dream right now.  Maybe my family are playing a trick on me, maybe.

Im currently sat at the top of the landing, my legs dangling over the edge and through the railings. My eyes are locked onto the sight in the living room, where my father and two younger sisters are playing dress up. A small smile finds my lips and I am swept away for a moment, until the jealousy kicks in and I bolt up to my feet, stomping my way over to my room.

             How can he cast all of his attention onto Amelia and Sophie, when he hasn't even talked to me today? And it's currently 5pm.  I have been to school today, but so have the twins... which means he could be spending time with me too...

             Amelia and Sophie are 6, so I understand why he gives them the time and effort, but as childish as it may sound, I'm jealous.  Dad used to give me all of his undivided attention before the twins were born, and that was six years ago.  Six.  He used to take me ice skating on the weekend, and if we couldn't go there we would go see a movie or something.  But I never cared what we did together, as long as we were together.  Since the twins joined ours lives, my dad has been casting his attention on them, and making sure hailey isn't running around on her last legs.

That's something I'm also jealous about. Amelia and Sophie have a mother, a present mother who loves them very much. They should be grateful. I want that.

As I lay on my bed, I roll over to face the wall. Was it something I've done? Said? Am I boring now? Am I not good enough anymore? My mind beats me up for around half an hour, until I let the darkness take over me.

~

Around a week later, nothing much has changed. In fact, the lack of attention has probably increased. I feel deprived of my dads love. The most interactive thing I've had with him all week was when he asked me if I could babysit the twins whilst he and hailey went out for dinner. Of course I said yes, because no matter how much jealousy I hold over the twins, I still love them with everything I am.

           "Immy!" I hear my dad yell my name.  What now...? I sigh and clamber out of bed, catching a glimpse of the clock, "yeah?" I run down the stairs, it's 3:35pm? As I approach the lobby I see hailey, my dad and the twins stood with their jackets and shoes on.  I furrow my brows in confusion, did I miss something? "The paints still wet in the downstairs bathroom so please be careful. There's money on the table if you fancy a takeaway" my dads busy fumbling around with whatever's in his hands.

          I lean on the wall and fold my arms, "why?where are you going?" I enquire.  He looks up at me slowly, "just to the new pottery painting place downtown then to the play park, for these two" he nods.  I look over at hailey who's trying to zip Sophie's jacket up, "oh" is all i manage to say, tears welling up in my waterlines. My dad eyes me for a second, unsure of whether I have anything else to say, maybe something more expressive than oh. Before I give him the chance to speak to me I turn around and go flop on the couch to watch something on the TV, "we'll be back before 7!" He yells out, yet I'm too busy holding in my tears to respond.