𝚖𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚜 𝚍𝚊𝚢

𖠌

Imogen Halstead (age 5)
Word count: 928

Haileys POV

As I watch jay approach his desk I can see that this morning was clearly a rough one for himself Imogen, "you good?" I hold out a coffee. He gratefully accepts the cup and sighs, "she was fine until I dropped her off at school, I guess she saw all the other moms with her classmates and she started crying" he sits down and huffs. I frown, I had a sad feeling that Mother's Day wouldn't go so well for the pair. I frown, "is school planning something for them?" I enquire. He nods, "mother-child picnics instead of lunch" he shrugs but I can see the guilt in his eyes. I nod, "I'm sure she'll brighten up in a few hours" i smile sadly.

~

             At around 12:15pm, I approach voights office, "hey, can I take a personal for an hour? If you need me I'll come straight back. It's kinda important" I sigh as I poke my head around the door, "keep your radio on" hank waves me off.  I smile and tap the door, "thanks Sarge" I waste no time in grabbing my jacket, "duty calls" I wave at jay.  He shoots he a curious glare but I leave no time for questioning.

Imogen's POV

             I don't like sitting inside.  My friends are outside on the grass with their mommys... Miss said I should stay inside and help her colour some pretty flowers but I don't want to.  I want to be outside.  I drop my crayon and wipe my eyes as I feel them becoming wet again, "what's the tears for, huh?" I hear someone knock on the door.  I look up to see my second favourite person in the entire world stood smiling at me! I smile and jump out of my chair, "haileyyyyy!" I squeal as she picks me up.  I hear my teacher stand up too, "the picnic baskets are by the gate" she smiles and points outside.  Hailey smiles and brushes my curls away from my wet cheeks, "no more tears, yeah?" She nods.  I smile and rest my head on her shoulder as she takes us outside, nodding at her question.

             We spend the next hour laughing and making daisy chains, I never thought I'd get my own daisy necklace before! But here I am stood proudly wearing my daisy necklace, crown and bracelet as hailey takes a picture of me.  I grin as widely as I can to show my dad that I'm not sad anymore, because hailey saved the day! 

             "Thank you for being with me today, I love you!" I hug haileys leg.  She strokes my hair, "I love you too, kiddo" she smiles down at me, "see you later, smelly" she bends down to straighten my dress out.  I smile and nod before waving as she walks away with the other people, "was that your mommy?" My best friend Lucas runs up to me.  I smile and nod, "yup... and she's a superhero!" I grin.  He gasps, "really? What's her super power?" He jumps.  I give him my daisy necklace, "she catches bad guys" we run away to play with the games in the corner.  I have the worlds coolest parents!

Jays POV

            I'm snapped out of thought by my phone pinging on my desk, I sit up to see what the message is when I click on haileys name at the top of my screen.  I open the image to see Imogen smiling widely at her school wearing a few daisy chains, did hailey really go to her school for Mother's Day? I feel my heart swell in my chest, however, I don't get the chance to respond since she walks past me and sits down at her desk.  I tilt my head, "you didn't have to..." she cuts me off, "of course I did... she's like my own, jay" she shrugs.  I smile thankfully, "I can't thank you enough, I'm sure it meant the world to her" I nod.  She smiles, "she was too busy making me daisy chains to express her gratefulness" she chuckles.  I smile, sounds like Imogen...

~

             "So, did you have a good day?" I pick Imogen up and sit her down at the kitchen table.  She nods, "I did, because hailey came to school and we had a picnic and it was really fun, and I really liked it" she rambles on as she dives into her spaghetti.  Hailey smiles, "well I gotta say, making daisy chains was really fun" she nods.  Imogen smiles, "we made you some too, daddy. But they broke in my bag..." she sighs.  I smile, "you can make me another at the park, tomorrow" i nod.  She smiles and nods, continuing to talk about nonsense the whole dinner. 

             "Looookkkkk!" Imogen comes running into the living room holding something behind her back.  I look at hailey with a raised eyebrow, "one for you, daddy" she hands me a handmade Mother's Day card, and at first I'm a little taken back.  She then hands hailey the other, "and one for you, hailey" and we open them at the same time.

            "Thank you, monkey" I pull Imogen onto my lap and attack her with mini kisses

            "Thank you, monkey" I pull Imogen onto my lap and attack her with mini kisses.  She giggles and wriggles out of my grasp, then straight into haileys where she receives the same treatment from my partner, "thank you, kiddo" she smiles.  Imogen smiles back, "you're welcome" she beams at us both.  Never stop being yourself kiddo, and never stop loving others the way you do hails...