𝚒𝚗𝚏𝚎𝚌𝚝𝚎𝚍?!

¥

Imogen Halstead (age 14)
Word count: 2179
Suggested by @BooksandFandoms38

Jays POV

          I'm completely torn.  I don't know what to do... There's a deadly infectious disease, that only a few people know about including our unit and the first responders of Chicago, going around like the flu.  Do I send Imogen to school? Do I not? I mean... if I don't send her to school she'll get in trouble for not going, and I'll get in trouble for keeping her at home. Besides, she's extra excited to go, she has some kind of volleyball game she needs to attend. Ugh...

       I haven't told immy about this, nor have I discussed it much with hailey.  Speaking of... "what're we doing about school? She's getting ready but I really don't know, Jay...." Hailey snakes her arms around my waist and I sigh, clinging onto her hands.  I turn around and nod, "we're gonna' have to send her, hails. I mean, I don't want to, but there's nowhere we can take her if she doesn't. We can't leave her at the district, she isn't staying home alone, and meds too risky..." I frown.  She nods, placing her forehead on my chest, "I know, I know..." she huffs as the sound of Imogen's feet make their way into the kitchen.  She smiles, "morning" she hops onto the stool like every morning.  Me and Hailey get rid of any worry on our face and smile, "morning baby" hailey tickles our daughter under her chin.

         Not even an hour later, and I'm dropping Imogen off at school like usual.  Only this time I'm a lot more on edge, "Be good, and be careful..." I warn Imogen as she hops out of the truck.  She pulls a face at the last part but nods and blows me a kiss nonetheless, I smile and wave before driving away, turning my radio on as hailey texts me her address.  Oh boy...

~

Imogen's POV

       "To the left! Up! Nice..." Gabby, my best friend since childhood, guides me to the ball as I slide to the floor.  We bounce to our feet as the whistle is blown at half time.  If we win this game we get through to the district final, meaning we could eventually become regional champions.  As I'm walking over to our couch I notice a girl from the other team swaying on the spot, her face is pale and she's sweating profusely...

         I touch her shoulder and frown, "hey, are you okay?" I enquire.  She turns to face me, "i..." she mumbles before collapsing to the ground, taking me with her.  I manage to break her fall and place her onto my leg as her coach runs over, "are you okay?" Gabby runs over to me yet freezes in her tracks when the opposing coach peels the poorly girls sleeve up.  There's blood, flesh, and some kind of moving thing on her forearm.  I gasp and scurry backwards as I glance down at the fresh blood on my sleeves, my eyes instantly widen as I stand up and turn around in fear.  What's going on?

~

        I'm so scared right now... I was taken to Chicago med, but I haven't seen my uncle Will yet, or auntie Nat... Me, Tegan and sam were all in contact with the girl during the game, especially me... which means we've been forced to remain in quarantine until further notice.  I haven't talked to, or seen, either of my parents since this morning and I'm scared.  I don't even know if Gabby was taken to quarantine...

       I'm sat on the small bed in our boxed off plastic cubes when I hear a new income of people filing into the room wearing the same brown scrubs we're all in.  It doesn't take long for them to be allocated a quarantine box, when I spot a familiar set of blonde curls, "mom?!" I yell slightly.  Low and behold... my mother turns around with a look to frightened on her face, it looks like she might pass out.  She frowns, "immy? Wha-h-why're you here?" She walks over to the plastic separating the cubes.  I frown, holding back my tears, "there was a girl at school, she had this thing on her arm, and I touched her" I shrug.