𝚕𝚊𝚞𝚐𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚌𝚔

Imogen Halstead (age 15)
Word count: 1558
TW: bullying

Imogen's POV

"C'monnnnnn..." I drag my friend towards the cafeteria.  I feel my stomach grumbling as the noise of the loud cafeteria reaches my ears, "I'm starvingg" I drag out.  Gabby stares at me with wide eyes as she looks down, "I forgot my lunch money..." she groans.  I shrug, "it's okay, you can have mine. I have some food in my bag anyways" I smile.  She smiles in return, "thanks, I owe you" she nudges my arm.  I shrug in dismissal, not too bothered about the cash, as we join the queue for the food stand.

Gabby broke her arm two weeks ago, so the cast on her arm makes carrying the food tray quite impossible, therefore I am her designated assistant for the time being. We don't take too long before we head out of the line and towards an empty table. Thankfully it's early lunch time so people are still waiting for food... more tables to choose from.

Gabby rolls her eyes and looks at me, "do they want a picture?" She sighs. I look forward, watching as Lexi and her friends shoot funny looks in our direction, "I know right" I mumble as we walk in between them.  Before I can make a joke to gabby I feel my foot fumbling around with something in the way, but gravity seems to win...

      As I start falling towards the floor reality hits me like a brick... as well as the floor.  Lexi just tripped me up in front of the whole school... I dare to not look up, hearing the whole cafeteria laughing at me and the world feels like it's moving in slow motion. Eventually I peel myself off of the floor, my shirt dripping with orange juice and fried chicken as my eyes meet Lexis. I reach up to my nose which seems to feel hot and tingly, and as I pull my hand away I notice the crimson liquid dripping down my finger. She pouts, "ouch" she smiles ever so sarcastically. My head filters around the room, staring at everyone as their phones slowly appear. I'm a laughing stock.

        Gabby pulls on my shirt sleeve, "let's go" her face is sympathetic, and for a second all I can think about it how glad I am that they didn't trip her up too. She drags me down the hall as we run past everyone else, and how unfortunate for me that they too have their phones out. Gabby grabs a bunch of wet paper towels and locks us both in the biggest toilet stall there is, although my mind is full of humiliation. She sighs, "try not to think about it, they'll forget it even happened by next week" she frowns. I quickly rip my shirt off as the orange liquid sticks to me. I shrug, "they won't let me live this down, I'm going home" I sigh as I change into my gym class shirt... good job that's last period, a sweaty shirt wouldn't have made anything better. 

         "Immy, I'm sorry..." Gabby frowns as I wipe my tears, and blood, away... walking over to the sinks to wash my face free from orange juice.  I shake my head, "it's not your fault, don't say that" I look at her with a small smile.  She nods weakly, "I can call my mom, she can maybe drop you off home?" She offers but I decline.  I smile weakly, "it's fine, I'll walk" I head towards the door.  Gabby follows me, "look, try and forget about it" she gives me a quick hug, "and text me when you get home" she pulls away. I nod, swiftly walking down the hall in attempts to avoid everyone.

I hear snickering behind me as I storm out of the school, running across the car park in case I get caught. Once I'm on the sidewalk I let out a shaky breath and let my tears roll down my face, why did this have to happen?  My dads on a day shift at the ED so, fortunately for me, if the school rings about my absence he won't answer.

It takes me half an hour to get home and by the time I reach my bed, I'm exhausted. I give Gabby a quick text so she knows I didn't get kidnapped on the way home, before I shut off my phone and lay down... I can't deal with social media today. I sleep for what feels like hours, until I find myself becoming restless. I seem to drift back off into a somewhat undisturbed state of sleep... until I hear an almighty crash downstairs.

~

Wills POV

         It's been a long day in the ED and I'm currently driving home, listening to my voicemails. What the hell? Why do I have so many damn voicemails. I have four from Jay telling me to call him back when I get chance, and one... oh. The school. What has Imogen done now?

After listening to all my voicemails I find myself speeding home, wondering what the hell is going on. Jay said I now have a new door... but Imogen's okay. What the hell is going on? I have a missed called from my dad asking what the hell is happening, and why the hell jay called him asking for my whereabouts. Imogen left school after lunch, and I have no idea as to what's happening... my heart is pounding out of my chest. My daughter is my lifeline, I don't know if I'd cope without her.  Am I being dramatic?

        I throw my bag over my shoulder and run towards the house, practically abandoning my car on the driveway and bolting for the door.   I do have a new door... "immy? Jay?!" I call out, only to find them sat on the couch together.  Imogen's wearing PJ's and jay looks defeated, "what the hell's going on? You blew up my phone... and the school said you left? And the new door?" I shake my head. Jay stands up, walking me over to the kitchen and closing the door.

He sighs, "someone tripped Imogen up at lunch today, she had orange juice all down her shirt and she bust her nose. Kids made her into a laughing stock. She's all over their socials, will. Immy said she left after it happened. Someone's dad forwarded the photo to me, I stopped by the house to check on her since she wasn't answering my calls. She wouldn't answer the door, and there were no lights on... I panicked, kicked the door down, but she was okay. I had CFD replace your door, don't worry" he nods, folding his arms.

       I shake my head, "there's so much... going on" I look around as I pinch the bridge of my nose.  Jay nods, "she's feeling pretty down, doesn't wanna' go to school tomorrow" he adds, leaning on the kitchen counter. I nod, "I'll take it from here, thanks. Can you call dad and fill him in, he kept ringing me?" I shrug my shoulders. Jay pulls a face a me, as if I just asked him to kill a puppy, "please" I sigh heavily. He eventually nods, "okay, I will" he agrees, much to his misfortune. Jay goes over to kiss Imogen goodnight, before he leaves and I can only sigh again.

"Hey kiddo, you okay?" I sit down next to Imogen. She nods, yet immediately snuggles into my side, "tell me what happened" I frown heavily. She slowly nods, and the story begins... I am horrified. How can kids be so cruel? I ask her to write down who was involved and when it happened so I can contact the school tomorrow and fill them in. Imogen let's out a sniffle, "do I have to go to school tomorrow? They'll make fun of me. I've seen the photo" she looks up at me. I slowly shake my head, "I'll call in sick tomorrow, we can have a lazy day. How's that sound?" I smile, giving her shoulder a nudge.

"Sounds good" she mumbles, moving to rest her head on my shoulder. I can feel her getting heavier and before I know it, she's asleep on my shoulder. I close my eyes for a few seconds before I grab my phone, opening jays message. He sent me the photo, and it breaks my heart that she has to be exposed to such ugly souls as such a young age. People will do anything to make themselves feel better, even if it means dragging someone else down. I wish I could take her out if this world and hide her away, somewhere these wicked people can't find her.

~

The next morning I wake up refreshed, and as I go to roll over I feel something stopping me. I hand lands on a bunch of hair and I sigh, looking down to see red locks spread across my bed. I shake my head with a sad smile. The only time she ever does this is when she's very sick or scared. So... she must be pretty scared, I would probably be worried too. I let her linger in the peace as I slide out from under her head. Today will be a better day, I'll make sure of it.