𝚊𝚜𝚝𝚑𝚖𝚊 𝚊𝚝𝚝𝚊𝚌𝚔

✔︎

Imogen Halstead (age 12)
Word count: 931

Imogen's POV

             "Immy? C'mon, we're going!" I hear jay yell from the kitchen.  I groan... I hate the boat! I'm scared of it. Why would anyone find this enjoyable? I mean, for starters... the ocean, or sea, is a scary place.  But to add sitting on a rocking boat on top of that, which could sink at any moment? Not for me, thanks but I prefer land.  Unfortunately for me however, my brothers love fishing, meaning I either stay with someone else for a day or I go with them, and I'm not going to lie I do miss them when I'm with anyone else.  So I guess I'll just have to suck it up...

~

"How many time have we got to tell you? The boat isn't gonna sink, Imogen" Will sighs as I follow him around whilst he unhooks the boat from the harbour. I shrug, "you can't know that for sure" I stand my ground. I have a valid point! Jay emerges from the boats cockpit, "the boat will not sink, Imogen. Now please just get on so we can go before it gets cold" he tilts his head. I look around before groaning, "we gave you the option to stay with Trudy for the day, but you declined the offer" jay adds as Will throws the ropes onto the pier. I sit down inside the cockpit and pull my cap over my face as we begin moving, "no, she's kinda boring... and scary. Anyways, I wanted to stay with hailey" I fold my arms.

Jay shakes his head, "and I already told you, she's with her brothers today" he retaliates. I huff, "I'm sure she would've let me go with her" I keep my head down. Jay chuckles at my persistence, "quit complaining, just sit there and at least look a little enthusiastic" he sighs. I shoot him the most sarcastic smile ever and he shakes his head, "I'm sure you'll enjoy it" Will pipes up. I shrug, "mmfff" I grumble. No, I will not!

~

I've been on this damn boat for two hours already and we're officially out of view from Chicagos shoreline, I hate this. We're currently at a standstill and not moving, which I hate even more, because the rocking of the boat from side to side is making me feel utterly sick. I haven't moved from this seat once, and I don't plan on moving. I hear Will and jay muttering something as they sit on the edge of the boat with beers in their hands, with jay watching the fishing line Bob up and down.

"Come and help, immy" jay calls out. I snort a laugh, "no, I'm good thanks" I reply quickly. If I take one look into that water I think I'd pass out. Will sighs, "it's not gonna kill you to get involved" he shakes his head. I can feel my palms getting sweaty, but I know they're not going to stop pestering me until I at least go over and see what they're doing. I stand up and hesitantly approach them both as jay stands up, "c'mon, I'll help you" he stands behind me and forces me to take the fishing rod in my hands. He reels the wire in as it starts tugging, implying that there is indeed some kind of disgusting creature on the end of the line.

As the tugging gets stronger, I feel my footing starting fail. My feet slide and I almost fall in. I let out a loud gasp and force jay to step back so I can go sit back down, my breathing is practically sporadic right now. Jesus, it's getting hard to breathe... Where's my damn inhaler when I need it?

"You wouldn't have fallen in" jay calls out. I don't reply, instead I try and force a deep breath of air into my lungs but they don't seem to be working like they were two minutes ago. Will seems to pick up on my asthma attack and rushes over to his jacket where he rummages around for what I presume is my inhaler, "take it easy..." he kneels down in front of me and helps me use the inhaler. I take two deep breaths on my inhaler and before I know it, I can breathe again...

Will rubs my back as jay blocks the sun so I can see him, "you okay?" He enquires. I nod, "I don't wanna do that again" I insist as I shoot him an angry glare. He nods, "alright" he raises his hands in defence, "we're going home soon" he adds. Too late now jay, my days ruined!

~

           "Wanna watch a movie?" Jay knocks on my bedroom door, "where's Will?" I sigh.  He points to my TV, "work, what're you watching?" He moves over to where I'm laying in bed, "is this you trying to kiss my ass?" I huff.  He chuckles, "language" he warns.  I sigh and rest my head on his shoulder as he pulls the covers over us, "so you're scared of boats then, huh?" He rubs my arm.  I nod, "yeah, what sane person wouldn't be?" I snort a laugh.  He smiles, "I wouldn't have let anything happen to you" he adds.  I sigh, "I know, I was just scared" I pass him the TV remote.  He nods, "I get it, I'm still scared of spiders" he smiles.  I snort a laugh, "I know" I shake my head as he smiles in return.  You screamed when a baby spider was in your sink, brother...