CHAPTER 1

KEISHA'S POV

Finally, I'll get some alone time. Don't get me wrong, I love my job and wouldn't change a thing about it, but it may be exhausting to always give and not have time to focus on yourself and your mental health. Being a teacher has always been a dream of mine, and when I graduated three years ago, I knew I wanted to give my students the greatest education possible. After graduation, I moved to the United States from South Africa, and it was the best decision I have ever made for myself. I miss my family and have made arrangements to see them over the summer, but first I'll be spending the weekend with my girlfriends. My two best friends, who are almost sisters to me, organized the trip so they could spend time with me before I went for home. They also understand how important it is for me to get away from my ex-fiancé on this trip. I met a guy and we started dating when I first moved here. We dated for two years before getting engaged and starting wedding plans. I adored him and believed he was my soulmate with whom I would spend the rest of my life. He was my prince charming and treated me like a princess. I discovered he cheated on me two weeks ago, and our wedding was scheduled for a month away back at home. When I found out, I was devastated, and he even chose that girl over me. It's been two weeks, and I'm still crying myself to sleep. My perspective on love has shifted dramatically. I don't think I'll ever fall in love again, and I've made a pledge to stay unmarried for the rest of my life. I haven't told my parents about our breakup yet, and I'm sure it will break them. They have everything planned out and have spend all their time making sure everything is in order for the big day. They even started coming up with names for their "grandchildren", typical African parents. I'm not sure if I'll be able to deal with all the questions and disappointment from the elders when I get back home.