CHAPTER 9

EMILIO'S POV

I finally had an opportunity to leave the suite and go exploring after spending hours working and having things ready. I wasn't prepared for the mortal world to be like this. Colin taking over this world won't be in our best interests since we would need to assist the mortals in catching up to us in terms of infrastructure and technology, which would take years because we are far ahead of them. I was humming in the woods when I came across a mortal woman and spoke to her. Colin told me that the greatest dread of mortals is death, but when I asked the woman about it, she showed no signs of fear. She didn't even show the tiniest hint of emotion that would have led me to believe she was hiding fear. Colin obviously misread the mortals.

 If a single female who appeared weak wasn't afraid of dying, then there must be thousands more like her. She started crying after she asked about my partner, and I'm curious as to why. Humans are strange. We had a decent talk despite her acting strangely, and I hope she is one of the people who will get household jobs and she isn't forced to work the fields or hard labor when Colin takes over. As night falls, I return to the suite.

Since the alcohol offered by the mortals wouldn't even harm a newborn in our realm, I find Colin consuming brandy that he brought. Hearing the door close causes him to look up at me. He gives the air a sniff before giving me a strange look. He asks, "Where have you been?" and I respond with my whereabouts. "Where does that smell come from?" he asks. I smell the air and myself, but I don't detect any scents. I confess to him, "I cannot smell anything". He gives me one last glance before returning to what he was doing. This concerns me. Colin has never been wrong about anything, and his senses are heightened than that of any supernatural so if he smelt something there is something.