Chapter 35

Qiao Jing Jing slept unexpectedly soundly on this night.

The next day was Chinese New Year's Eve.

When she woke up, the sky was already completely bright. She opened her eyes and immediately smelled the aroma of food. What seemed to think of something. She got up of bed and opened the door of the bedroom. Sure enough, familiar voices came from the kitchen. Her parents had already arrived.

No matter how busy everyone is, the whole family must eat together on Chinese New Year's Eve. These past years, the number of times she went home to celebrate the Chinese New Year was many, but occasionally there would be times like this year, where because she had to work, her parents would come over for the New Year's reunion.

She walked to the kitchen doorway. Her parents saw her and smiles spread across their faces. "You're up? We didn't dare to disturb you."

Qiao Jing Jing walked over and hugged Mrs Qiao.

Mrs Qiao was a little surprised and patted her. "Jing Jing, what happened? Suddenly being extra affectionate and cute with me."

"Nothing," Qiao Jing Jing replied in a muffled voice.

While going about busy at work, Mr Qiao took a look at them and, a little jealous, said sourly, "Isn't your daughter always like this? Hungry, right?"

"Yes." Qiao Jing Jing let go of her mother. "What's there to eat?"

Mr Qiao had already stewed sweet porridge for her. Qiao Jing Jing was drinking porridge at the small table in the kitchen while listening to her parents argue about the Chinese New Year's Eve family dinner.

"Why did you bring the beef from home? We can't finish such a big piece. I told you to have more variety, but cook smaller portions for each dish since we will be going back early in the morning tomorrow and Jing Jing does not eat." This was Mrs Qiao talking.

"How can the New Year's Eve family dinner be lacking? It is a good omen to have leftovers." This was Mr Qiao, who had switched careers in recent years to study cooking, talking.

"Superstitious and wasting," Mrs Qiao concluded.

Qiao Jing Jing raised her head. "You two are not leaving with me tomorrow night?"

Her performance at the Shanghai Dragon TV station would probably end at about eight to nine o'çlock tomorrow. She had thought her parents would wait for her to return to Jing City together.

Mr Qiao was cutting the beef. "It's our family's turn to give a dinner party on New Year's night this year, so we have to go back early in the morning to start preparing."

Qiao Jing Jing was upset. "Then I might as well have gone back today to have New Year's Eve family dinner. That would have saved you from running around."

Mrs Qiao said, "Then you would have had to run around. We are free, so it's better that we come. If by any chance there is a traffic jam and you can't arrive for the program on time, that would not be good."

"Oh." Qiao Jing Jing did not say anything anymore, holding the porridge bowl and drinking slowly.

With a bowl of warm sweet porridge now filling her stomach, it was as if she was starting to feel right and warmed up from the bottom of the heart, and the spacious, empty house was filled with lively human interactions once again.

The New Year's Eve family dinner that night failed to live up to Mrs Qiao's expectation. The dishes were many, but the serving sizes were also too large. After saying a few auspicious words to each other, Mrs Qiao began to harp on Mr Qiao again.