Hunger

There are two things to consider about living with a vampire.
One, what's their light preference? If they're sun reactive you need to adjust your home.
Two, how often do they get hungry? You don't want a very hungry vampire paying you a late night visit do you?
Those two things were precisely what Alchemist cookie had to balance since she and her older brother moved away from their parents. It wasn't the easiest living with a vampire for a brother, but she would manage.
Vampire was actually quite the low maintenance vampire after all, he wasn't too sun reactive, so they could live anywhere, and she'd never actually seen him get.. hungry, before.

Alchemist had a pretty easy time adjusting to life being just her and her brother, and it seemed so did he. 

It was a late autumn evening when thing started to go wrong. They'd lived in their own home for a few years by now, and were a part of the kingdom nearby then. More like a pitstop for travelling cookies who need a friendly face to let them stay the night.
It was one of those days when they'd just had their latest guests leave, and Vampire himself had returned from his usual venture down to the juice bar.
Alchemist was fixing up one of the many guest rooms, she normally did the house work, not because she liked it, but because Vampire was never home. Tonight though, he'd returned earlier than normal. Said he'd been feeling sick, and turned in for bed.

This wouldn't have been so unnatural, if it wasn't for the lack of wine smell around him, he usually stank of it, it was all he seemed to consume. But he didn't smell of it at all.
Alchemist decided not to push, it would be rude to. She had manners. Besides, she had stuff to do.

The second sign something was not right was when Vampire didn't leave his room, or the next day, or the next for an entire week. Alchemist had decided she'd had enough. She was going to check on him. After all, even when he was home he usually created a stirr, but not these past few days.

And that brings you up to that moment, the moment where our story truly begins.

Alchemist strolled along the corridors of their old gothic home, it was huge, way too big for just the two of them. She was somewhat irritated, having to do everything by yourself was irritating enough, but having to constantly shake off the odd worried guest was even more irritating. She finally stopped just outside of her brother's room, it was silent. Maybe he was sleeping again? That seemed to be all he did at this point.

"Vampire, you up?" She called out, knocking on the old oak wood. "You've got to come out of there eventually."

"Leave me alone.." a soft grumble escaped through the gaps in the door, so he was awake!

"Who do you think you're talking to? Now come on, if you're not going anywhere you might as well be some help in the house." She replied, a snarky tone to her words. 

Silence, so he was trying the silent treatment? Alchemist did not like that, she thought it was rude. And she did not tolerate such rudeness. So she pushed open the door.

It was completely dark, the curtains on the windows had been drawn shut, every little area where natural light could get in was covered with torn up bedding. The floor was a mess, and in the middle of the floor, facing away from the door, sat Vampire.

"..Vampire? What on earthbread has happened here?" She lowered her voice, she didn't expect this scene.

"I told you to leave me alone."

She froze, that didn't sound like normal Vampire. "..what's wrong?"

He glanced over his shoulder at her, the purple hue of his eyes had shifted to a more crimson tone, he looked tired, like he hadn't slept for a while.

"Oh." She said, backing off a slight bit.

"I'm so hungry". He finally responded. He turned away from her again. "I'm going to wait it out.. maybe the feeling will just go away."

Alchemist didn't respond, just left the room, shutting the door behind her. This wasn't right. He wasn't supposed to get those cravings anymore, their mother had trained him out of it-

... right?