memories (11)

Yeah things still aren't great.
The entire journey back "home" was silent. Vampire was stuck sat next to his mother, who hand her hand ontop of his. She'd told him it was "all part of the show" and that if he played along, she'd leave him alone. He couldn't lose that chance. So he behaved.
Alchemist was sat next to Herb, while Spinach did most of the driving. The pair looked just as uncomfortable as Vampire felt.
Maybe the silence was for the best, as when they pulled in, Alchemist tried to break the ice.
"Hey uh.. I'll- I'll help Herb sort out Vampire's room-" she sounded stressed, it was obvious why, but she couldn't risk losing her mother's trust.
Her mother just nodded, signalling for the two to hurry up and leave. Clearly she wanted more time with her son, alone.

Once away from the two, Alchemist grabbed Herb by the arm and dragged him behind the nearest door.
"Look. We've gotta figure out what's wrong, and fast! Mother's going to have a party soon and I want it solved by then-" she began to ramble.
"I know- look. I have a bit of a plan.. recommend me to be his.. I don't know- like to watch over him? That way I can see what he does. If she says no we'll know something seriously bad is up. "

Alchemist paused. ".. I like how you think. I'll try that. What if it doesn't work?"

"Offer up Sparkling cookie, he's not here all the time, but Vampire seems to like him. He could help us figure out what's going on!" Herb smiled.

"The bartender's apprentice? Really? Surely he'd be too busy with his work-"
"Oh you'd be surprised. He's always free. He only really tags along for events." Herb glanced around, noticing how suspicious they seemed.

"We should probably go to his actual room, god knows what anyone else will think we're doing." Herb awkwardly laughed, watching Alchemist's face suddenly turn a deep shade of red.
"A-ah- yeah- good point."

Vampire followed in silence as his mother led him down the halls of the building. This place hadn't changed much since he'd last been here.
Except for one tiny detail, all pictures of his father were covered, his own pictures moved to be almost impossible to spot.
Had she really cut them away that quickly?
How could he be so surprised, of course she did.  His mother was walking ahead, keeping a small distance between them at all time.
It wasn't enough to be concerning. But she clearly didn't like him. Something's never change huh?

He glanced to the side, they'd passed his childhood bedroom. Had they changed that too? Or did they leave it?
"You've lost your fight. Haven't you?" His mother spoke quietly. But she meant business, that was for certain.
When he didn't respond she couldn't help but laugh.
"You really did change in there. Shame it had to be that way."

Vampire turned his gaze to the floor. He didn't have to listen to this.

"It's rude not to reply my dear. I thought we taught you that." She'd stopped walking, and had turned to face him. Vampire had just barely managed to notice and awkwardly stopped, nearly colliding straight into her.
"Well? Are you going to say anything?"

"..sorry." he hated this. Why was she like this?

"That's more like it. Now, walk beside me. Not behind." She motioned for them to continue. Vampire was getting restless, how far away was his new room? Why was it taking so long? The atmosphere felt like it was choking him, he wanted nothing more to hide away.

It would seem luck was on his side.

They turned one last corner, and Vampire could hear his sister, she was laughing. That was a sound he was glad he'd hear more often.
"I suppose I'll leave you here for now. Welcome home, dear."