memories (14)

The walk home from the market was silent. Alchemist could tell as soon as she returned to her brother, who'd recently reunited with his leafy friend, that something wasn't right. But Vampire wouldn't say a word. Sure he'd answer any simple yes or no questions but he avoided everything else. How could she get through to him? She had to figure it out. The walk back was shorter than the three thought it would be, but Vampire didn't wait to get straight back to the safety of his room.
Alchemist turned to Herb.
"Is he alright?"
"..I don't know." Herb was looking down the hallway that Vampire had went down. "he doesn't seem to be.. I'll check on him."
"Give him a moment.. so he can calm down." Alchemist frowned, concern lacing her words.

Vampire shut the door behind him, immediately pushing himself against it. His mind was racing, cranberry's words still in his head. He looked like his mother..? He looked like his mother! He stared down at his hands, were they his? Or were they his mother's? Who was he? Was he himself or.. just a copy of his mother? He hated this.
He stepped forwards, making his way to the rooms only mirror.
He looked like her. He truly looked like her.

Enough. He reached down to the desk that held the mirror, trying to find the draw, not once taking his eyes off his reflection.
Eventually he made contact with what he was looking for, and without looking away raised his hand.
Yet he hesitated.

But he had to do this.

.....

Herb was pacing back and forth, clearly nervous.
"Surely I should check on him now right? I mean- I doubt he'd do anything but I don't want to risk it!" He looked over at Alchemist who looked just as worried.

"..I think you should. It's been too quiet. Way too quiet." She sighed, waving him off as she wondered what could have set him off to this level.
Herb nodded, not wasting a second before he went down the hall, stopping at Vampire's door. He took in a breath and gently knocked, waiting a few moments before trying to open it.

It wouldn't move.

He pushed it again, with more force, that was working. So he continued, trying to force his way into the room.
Once he was in he turned, closing it behind him, he'd not looked in the room itself yet, but he knew Vampire liked his privacy.
"Vampire? Is everything okay in here?" He spoke, finally turning to face where he hoped he'd find his friend in a decent state.
He paused, looking down, Vampire was sat on the floor, with his knees to his chest.
Yet what stood out to Herb the most was the mess he was in.

The floor was covered in red, a mixture of both strands of hair and what appeared to be blood. It seemed like he'd tried to clean it up, with bundles of tissue discarded over the room, each stained the same colour as the carpet.
"..what happened?" Herb finally spoke, he still didn't dare move, taking notice of a pair of stained scissors by his friends body.

"I had to fix something." Vampire mumbled, his voice quiet and unsteady, yet he didn't seem to be too upset. That was rather startling, but gave Herb enough confidence to approach him.
"What did you fix?" He crouched in front of him, resisting the urge to physically check over him.
"Me." Vampire looked off to the side, picking up the scissors.

"..did you use that?" Herb didn't like the look of this. What on earthbread did he do to himself?

Vampire nodded, holding it out for him to take. "they did what I wanted them to do... Can you take them away?"
Herb did as he said, making sure to see if his hands were okay, and they appeared to be, the blood wasn't coming from there.
With that he stood up, not really sure where to put the blood stained blades he'd been given.
"I'll- I'll be right back. Don't go anywhere." Herb tried his best to mask his nerves, before quickly leaving the room. He leaned against the wall, letting out the breath he didn't even know he was holding in.
He had to tell Alchemist what he'd seen. She'd know what to do right?

He made his way down the hall again, to where he left her, holding the scissors behind his back.
Alchemist looked up, tilting her head.
"Is he okay?"
Herb shook his head, holding out the scissors.
"He gave me this. He- he said he was fixing himself I dont- I don't know what he's done-" he began to ramble, the nerves finally setting in completely.
Alchemist stared down at them, with a horrified look on her face.
"Is that- is that blood?" When herb nodded in response she looked away, feeling a bit nauseous.
"You should probably- probably make sure he's not too hurt-" she couldn't look back at him.
"Alone?! I dont- I don't think I can do that-" Herb stared wide-eyed at her, he was terrified, what if he was really hurt? Sure he was decently trained in the art of healing, but he couldn't if he couldn't concentrate.
"I can't go in there. He'll shut down if I'm there." Alchemist sounded certain, what could he do? They'd never let his mother in to see him in this state.
"What do I do then? Spinach isn't here and I don't know who else would understand-"

Alchemist shook her head.
"You've gotta do it. He trusts you. Please just- make sure he's okay."

Herb paused, watching her face, she looked guilty. Why? She couldn't have caused this. He turned his head, he'd really have to do this alone?

Vampire didn't respond when he opened the door once more, or when he heard the soft thud of the scissors being placed down on the table. It wasn't until Herb gently placed his hands on his shoulders that he looked up at him.
"Vampire. How exactly did you.. fix yourself?" He asked, refusing to look away from him even though he was well and truly freaked out.
With that statement Vampire leaned forwards, until he was basically lying against him. Herb looked down at him, he didn't want to talk? That was helpful..

Turns out it actually was helpful. Vampire had just shown him where the blood came from. His hair was a mess, random areas were shorter than the rest, he'd clearly messed up a few times, with an assortment of these cuts going a bit too far down, cutting his own skin. Herb carefully moved his hand, running it through the longer hair, he'd really went at it huh?
"If you asked me I would have done this for you... Without the hurting." Herb lowered his voice to be just above a whisper.
Vampire just shrugged, bringing up his arms to pull him into a hug.

"Why don't you let me tidy this up? I'll be gentle, promise." Herb waited for him to respond, could he have helped with this? If he checked on him straight away he could have helped.
But he was here now, and that was just as important.
Vampire let out a grumble, shoving his face up against his clothing. "..in a bit."
Herb nodded, that was okay. He could do that. He could wait for him.

He'd keep him safe.