memories (6)

Vampire lounged around in the courtyard of his father's home, it was a cool autumn day, perfect to be outside, the sun wasn't too bright, the breeze was gentle, it was all he could ask for. The past half a year was all he could want too, he'd bonded quite well with the two boys he'd met last time he saw Alchemist, and they'd meet up every now and then.
It was no shock to him anymore if things would go wrong. But whenever a slightly good thing happened he'd be completely thrown off course.

This was definitely the case for his next life changing incident.

"Vampire! We have guests!" His father called out from the entrance to their home. Guests? He wasn't expecting anyone, who could it be?
A happy little squeak snapped him out of his thoughts, as a purple haired young girl ran over, jumping onto him.

"VAMPIRE!!! guess what?" His sister gripped onto his waist, beaming with excitement. He let out a little laugh. He didn't expect to see her for a while longer.
"What's happened? You're all happy-" he couldn't help but smile at her, after all, she hadn't done anything to him, she was innocent.
"Ok so you know theres that magic school in the Wizards city? The one that does that super cool alchemy course?" She hadn't let go of him yet, he'd never noticed how reluctant she was to let go of him before. But thinking about it now? She'd been like this since he'd left her.
"What about it?" He patted her head, to be honest he didn't know quite what to do, but it seemed to work out.
"Mother let me apply for next year- and I got in!!" She let out a loud giggle, excitedly burying her head into his chest. "all my dreams are coming true!" Her words were muffled by the loose fabric of Vampire's shirt.
"Oh alchemist! That's so cool!"

"Um.. Vampire?" She pulled away from him, her excitement turned to nervousness very quickly, which did surprise him.
"What is it Alchemist?" He lowered his voice, something told him this would be.. personal.

"Are you ever coming back home..?"

Those six words hurt.

"Alchemist -"

"I mean- I know I'll be studying now but- I want to see you more. You're my brother but I don't ever see you. I... I want my brother." She looked down, refusing to make eye contact.

Vampire stared at her, he didn't know what to say. But he couldn't just stay silent.

"Alchemist... That place is not my home, not anymore. I- I'll visit more. I swear. But I'm not welcome there anymore." He explained, watching her sorrow change to confusion.

"But- I want you home.. so you are welcome.. right?"

"I'm afraid it's not that simple." Vampire spoke, glancing up and making eye contact with his Mother, who was watching the pair rather.. intensely. "there'll always be someone there who won't want me.. I'd rather not have that."

"....Fine. but you have to visit more!" Alchemist put her hands on her hips, trying to seem as serious as she could. How could he stay unhappy when she was here?
"Alright, I can promise that."

Vampire was sat beneath one of the peach trees in the courtyard, messing around with a leaf, when that sour voice he feared found him.
"Vampire. Your father wants you." His mother spoke, with a hint of malice in her words.
"Why'd he send you?" Vampire didn't look up at her, if he saw her face, he'd be weak.
"Just- do what your father's told you to, I didn't really want to talk to you either." She frowned, turning away. He rolled his eyes, and stood up, dusting off himself.
"Where is he?"

"He's just over here, come on."
Vampire didn't like this. She was being too civil. And he was right to be so cautious.

"He's just down this corridor." She said, with a rather sly grin. As Vampire neared the door, a sickly sweet smell hit him. Oh god no, he thought to himself, speeding up. She'd definitely done something. But what? He reached the door, and opened it, expecting the worst.
But he couldn't see anything.

The smell definitely came from here. So something must be here.

He stepped in further.

Slam.

Vampire spun around, the door had been forced shut. He'd been tricked- how could he be so foolish? "Oh no no no no no no-" he mumbled, trying to get to grips with how he found himself. Another thing that bothered him was the smell, it roused a feeling, no, and instinct inside him he wanted to ignore.

He turned back around, giving the room a second glance when he saw it.

In an instant he went from trying to calm down to trying to break out. "Let me out!" He cried, he knew she'd still be there, she wanted to hear him suffer. That's all she wanted.
"P- Please! Let me out- I swear I'll be better-" his words were laced with a growing desperation. "Don't leave me in here- I won't be able to stop-"

He could hear her laughing to herself.
"Mother! Let me out please!" He slammed his fists against the door, the wood was sturdy, he wouldn't be able to force it open for a while yet.
She went silent, maybe calling her his mother had softened her..
Yeah right.

Footsteps.

She was leaving.

His attempts became more frantic. "Don't leave me here! Please! You can't leave me here-" his desperate pleas mixed into a fresh set of sobs. How could someone be so cruel? How could a mother do this to her own child?

As the sounds of her steps faded away, Vampire stopped trying to get her to come back. He'd damaged the door, his hands now covered in splinters, bloodied and bruised. So he turned, he'd have to face the horror of the room.

His father was slumped in the corner, his expression blank, his skin cold. But most importantly, his throat, torn open.