memories (1)

The furthest back vampire can remember was when he was roughly 7 years old, his sister was around 3 at this time. Vampire had an easy start to life, with parents who seemed to care as much as he needed them to.
On the surface that was.

--

SMACK

"You absolutely stupid child- I told you to not bite the lingonberry heir!" The tall woman hissed out, pulling her hand back from the now trembling child before her.

"I'm sorry momma I swear-"

"Be quiet!" She spoke again, louder, and meaner. "I swear you were a mistake- you know what, get out of my sight. Before I make you regret being born!"

The little boy ran as fast as he could, holding back sobs as he tried so desperately to escape his mother's line of sight. It wasn't his fault, the other child had been teasing him, and eventually tried to hit him, he'd only bit her in self defense. But every other cookie there saw a monster instead of the poor child. As soon as he was in the safety of his room, he hid under his blankets, trying his best to ignore the stinging sensation coming from his cheek. He'd not done anything wrong.. why couldn't anyone see that?  It's not like she had bled at all, hell he'd not even broken the top layer of her dough.

This was just like any other night, he'd end up hiding in his room, hoping he wouldn't see his mother until the next day, when she'd have calmed down and would treat him like nothing had even happened, but it definitely did happen, the little scuffs all over him were proof of that. It wasn't right for a cookie so young to be so damaged. Yet no other cookie seemed to notice, always too busy cooing over his little sister. She was normal, unlike him.

That night he was not left alone, he received a visitor. The door creaked open, and gentle yet heavy footsteps filled the air.
"Are you in here? My little red grape?"
That was a kind voice. His father.
"Papa!" Vampire responded instantly, dashing out from his blanket cocoon. He grabbed onto the much larger cookie, trying to wrap his little arms around the much more bigger torso of his father.

"There you are! How are you feeling?" His father was always so caring, so gentle, and as he picked up the younger cookie, he hid every little speck of concern. Vampire didn't react very well to concern from other cookies, after all, he was berated for showing any fear or anger. Was he allowed to feel? He didn't think so.

"I'm okay papa. I missed you!" Vampire smiled, his father was always out of town, so the few times he was home were always very special to the little boy.

"I missed you too! Oh! I brought you a gift!" His father chuckled, digging into his pocket as Vampire let go of him.

Vampire got a little bit too excited, practically bouncing on the spot, he never got gifts! This was so exciting! Almost too exciting. He might have thrown up if he had to wait any longer.
He watched, fixated on his father's hand as he pulled out something so small yet so large.
It was a small, little sewn bat. No bigger than the adults hand, yet it's vermilion wings stood out against its black body. And Vampire couldn't keep his eyes off of it.

His father handed him it, and before he could even say a "there you go" or something along those lines, Vampire had embraced him once more.

"Thank you thank you thank you thank you!" He repeated, nuzzling into his father's jacket.

"I'm glad you like it" he chuckled.

Vampire wished every moment was just like that. However all good things come to an end, and Vampire's mother called out. His father glanced at him, sympathy in his gaze. "Sorry bud, I have to go. I'll see you in the morning?"

Vampire nodded, letting go of the one cookie he trusted. "..okay. goodnight papa."

"Good night my little red grape."

And with that Vampire was alone again. But now he had something to protect, that little bat. He'd protect it with his life.

That night he slept well.