1. Temporary Insanity

We lost. We fucking lost.

I was trying not to let myself believe it was all my fault, but it was all my fault. I was the captain of the football team, the quarterback. My team looked to me for leadership and guidance. When I'm off my game it reflects on the rest of my team.

So that's why I was here, at the Blue Horse, the local college bar, drinking my sorrows away.

A few of my teammates joined me but most of the football team was out at a party. I couldn't get myself to go to that party. Partially because I was letting myself wallowing in self pity but also because I wanted to give my team some space to shit about me and be able to say whatever they want without my ears around to hear it.

"I'm buying a round of shots." Monroe clapped me on the shoulder.

"Let me." I fished out my wallet.

"No no no, let me throw some of my money away while you sit around pouting forever."

"I'm not pouting." I argued even though we both knew that was a giant lie.

"We win as a team and we lose as a team. Stop putting every mistake on your own shoulders. We both know you ain't the only one to make mistakes out on that field tonight."

"Whatever get the damn shots and stop lecturing me."

"You're an asshole Ev." Monroe laughed waving the bartender over to get some shots.

I was creating myself a nice buzz and with the shots that Monroe bought I was on the road to getting drunk by the end of the night.

"Cap we're going to the football house, you coming?" Jetson called out signaling to him and two of the other teammates that had come with me.

"Nah you guys have fun." I waved them off.

"Ok fun killer." Monroe sighed falling into chair next to me.

"Let me have fun my own way."

"When does this exactly start getting fun?"

"Fuck off, if you are so miserable just go with Jetson." I shoved my friends shoulder.

I knew Monroe wouldn't go. Out of all the guys on the team Monroe was the person I was closest to. He had my back all the way and I guess he was sort of my best friend.

"Someone has got to drag your sorry ass home."

"I'm going to get another drink." I grumbled getting up to return to my spot at the bar.

I had just ordered another draft when a flash of blonde caught my eye. Swooping through the bar was Becca, Monroe's girlfriend and my best friend. I watched as she threw herself on top of him. I was sort of relieved she was here, it would get Monroe off my back for the rest of the night.

"Heard you lost."

My whole body tensed at that voice. I was already feeling like shit and now I was gearing up for a fight.

"Here to gloat?" I spat turning to face none other than Jake Oliver.

Jake was the Captain of our rival team and well he was a giant dickhead. Just seeing that stupid face of his was making me want to slam my fist into it over and over. Even if it wasn't for our teams long standing rivalry with Kingsley I would still want to ring Jake's neck. He was cocky and tended to act as if he was better than everyone else.

"I'm here to drink." He shook his head leaning against the bar.

I tried to ignore the way his body stretched out in front of me. It was such a shame that a body like that was wasted on a personality like Jake's. And the alcohol must be seriously getting to me if I was even acknowledging Jake's body in any sort of positive light.