19. The drug cartel

Jake's pov-

I was in the middle of my pre game routine when Adam fell into the chair next to me. I looked up from the play notes in front of me to pay attention to my best friend.

"Alright I'm having an intervention." He said.

"For what?" I asked totally confused where this is going.

"He's concerned about you sneaking out all the time. Dude can't mind his own business." Nico said walking into the kitchen.

"I can't be the only one to notice Jake being weird lately." Adam defended himself.

"If anyone needs an intervention in this house it's not me." I told them.

They both looked at each other knowing exactly what I was talking about. Connors drinking had been continuing in a bad way. He seemed to be getting worse and worse and none of us knew really what to do about it. It would be a miracle if he was sober and ready for the game today.

"Can we talk about that instead of whatever this is? The dude is drinking himself to death." Nico piped in.

"Yes and it's very worrying but Connor isn't here right now so can I focus on my thing right now?" Adam tried to direct the conversation back to me.

"I don't see how my sex life is really that big of a deal." I told them both.

"So you're sneaking off to have sex?"

"I could have told you that." Nico responded looking bored as he pulled his phone out.

"Well sorry I was going through lots of different possibilities. Jake was being all weird and ignoring his planner which he never does, I thought maybe he'd become part of a drug cartel or something." Adam argued with Nico.

"That's stupid." Nico said not even looking up from where he was typing away at his phone probably texting his girlfriend.

"How would I even join a drug cartel?" I questioned.

"Don't ask me!" Adam threw his hands up in the air.

"You'd probably have to get into drugs first." Nico suggested.

"That's dumb, why would the drug cartel want drug users. They'd be losing money if their workers were sampling the product." Adam argued.

"Or they'd save money by paying their workers in drugs."

"Can we stop arguing about the drug cartel." I cut in.

"You're never going to be part of the cartel with that attitude." Adam joked.

I rolled my eyes. Sometimes my friends really annoyed me but I loved them like family.

"This is why you're the only one here not getting any." Nico teased Adam.

"See if you have that same attitude when I become filthy rich from running a drug cartel."

"You'd be a terrible drug cartel boss. You know you got to like murder people for that right?"

"Obviously, I've watched Narcos." Adam nodded.

The dynamics of the house were very interesting. Nico seemed to clash and argue with everyone but he was one of our closest friends. He showed his love in an interesting way. Adam got along with mostly everyone. The only really cause of any issue was Connor. Adam and him never seemed to really get along and I think a lot of that was because of Connor's drinking. Adam seemed to have given up on trying to help him and sometimes I didn't blame him for it. But that wasn't totally unusual because Connor didn't seem all that interested in being close friends with any of us anyway. He kept everyone at arms length, it was a constant fight with him.