Bonus chapter: the start of it all

(Jake's pov)

~Sophomore year~

The excitement buzzed through me. My teammates were cheering and congratulating me as we made our way off the field.

I had thrown the game winning pass. That was a big thing for me, last year I'd been the backup to Mateo, our team captain. But at the beginning of this season he injured his shoulder so now I was officially starting. It was only for a few weeks but with a couple more games like this I had hope I'd still be out on that field even when he was fully healthy.

"Should I be worried you're coming for my job?" Mateo smiled as he bumped his good shoulder into my side.

"I think you should be worried I already have it." I joked but part of me hoped the words were true.

"I'm not worried, I'd be happy to hand over my spot to someone who's got talent like you."

That was the thing about Mateo, he was such a nice guy and it made him a great captain. He brought the team together and made everyone feel welcome. I just hoped that when I got to be captain I'd lead just as well.

"I mean I am very talented."

I heard a scoff from behind me. Someone had obviously been listening to what I was saying and didn't agree. I turned to see a few Westerly players making their own way off the field.

But it wasn't them I was paying attention to, it was the blue eyed one that was glaring right at me.

What was his problem?

"You got something to say asshole?" I said crossing my arms over my chest sending a glare right back his way.

"I wouldn't say you're very talented you got lucky with that throw at the end. The only reason it was a completed pass was because of the talent of your receiver."

I clenched my jaw trying to stop the words from spilling out of my mouth. It hadn't taken long for me to put the face to the name. This asshole who apparently thought I was untalented and just lucky was none other than Evan Barrett, the quarterback for our rival team, the team we'd just beaten. I didn't know much about him but when he took over as the starter this year I'd spent lots of time watching tape of his games.

Seeing him up close and in person was much different than watching him on film in all his gear. I hadn't ever seen his face without his helmet on. I'd never gone out of my way to look him up and suddenly I wished I had. If only to have seen those striking blue eyes before I learned what an asshole he was and the whole image was ruined.

"You'll be lucky to out score me in a single game this season." I argued.

He could run his mouth all he wanted but I knew my words were the truth. I was a better player out on that field and it wasn't luck that won me the game today.

"As if I'd waste my time trying to compete against a second string quarterback." He rolled his eyes.

God he was so annoying. I just wanted to-. My mind went blank, I didn't really know what exactly I wanted to do but there was definitely some urge in me.

"Jeez Ev, making friends already?" One of his teammates walked up to him resting a hand on his shoulder.

"Whatever, see you at the rematch. Next time you won't get as lucky." Evan turned and followed his teammate off the field to the locker room.

Westerly was our rivals but I didn't care too much about that. But that guy was an asshole and I was ready to show him at our next game. I'd show him that it wasn't luck and I was the better player. I'd spend the next three years beating him and his team if that's what it took.