5. Kill them

It was time. I had been waiting for this and now that we were here the pressure was on. I had been on edge since I suited up. This was my moment to prove to myself I was capable to be a captain to my team.

Kingsley was getting the ball first but I had all the confidence in my defensive guys to be able to stop Jake from being able to do anything. I'd get the ball in my hands soon and once I did nothing would be able to stop me.

"Alright guys," I gathered my team around to say some last words before the game started.

"We've been practicing for this all week. Everyone knows that Kingsley has a good team but screw them. We are better, we are going to show that whole team what happens when you mess with the best. We are not going to let those dickheads beat us in our own home. Right team?" I asked.

"Yeah!" The guys cheered.

"What are we going to do?" I questioned trying to pump the team up a bit.

"Kill them!" One of my teammates yelled excitedly.

I paused for a second.

"Umm well that's not exactly the response I was going for but I'll take it. Let's fucking kill them!" The guys cheered again and then coach came over to tell us that the game was going to start.

Whenever we were facing Kingsley I always got nervous. They had beaten us a lot over the years but today was our day. We wouldn't let them go home victorious again.

During the whole first drive I stood on the sidelines anxious that Kingsley was going to get a score. I didn't want to be behind already so early in the game and luckily the defense did their job. They held the other team back and by the time the fourth down hit and they were punting the ball, the score was still zero to zero.

Unluckily for us their defense was good too. I got rushed immediately forcing me to throw a pass to my receiver before he was ready. The next play I got tackled making us lose some yards. This was not going the way I wanted it to.

It was 3rd and 14 and I had one real shot to get us back to a first down. I looked around for an open receiver and found Justin running down field. I threw the ball and held my breath hoping the catch would be good. The anxiousness didn't go away as I watched the ball bounce off the tips of his fingers right into the hands of the other team.

Shit.

The game didn't seem to get much better. While our defense was doing a good job by the end of the first quarter we were down 7-0. It was not what we wanted at all.

"You're off your game Ev." Monroe said hand resting on my shoulder.

"I know." I grumbled.

"Stop getting all up in your head about it. Pretend it's not Kingsley, it's just some other game. There is no pressure just go out there and play some damn good football."

I nodded taking a deep breath. I could do this. It was just like any other game. I wasn't up against Jake Oliver.

Who even was Jake Oliver?

For the rest of this game I was going to pretend that name didn't exists.

It seemed to work for the most part. The next quarter went better and at half we ended up tied 14-14. The win was in reach we just had a whole other half to go and pull through.

While Westerly came back ready and better after the half it seemed that Kingsley did too. The third quarter was a back and forth with no scoring. Both defenses were holding strong and I even had the pleasure of watching Jake get tackled to the ground. I did a happy cheer in my head as his body crumbled right there causing them to lose six yards.

I did a less happy cheer when at the end of the third quarter one of the linemen slammed into me. It was never fun getting sacked, especially less fun when somehow this guy was like three times my size. I didn't know there were even college guys that were this big. It seemed slightly unfair but I got back up because I had to. Definitely not because I wanted to, I wanted to just lay there in all my soreness.

That hit changed the game. I was tired and so were the rest of my teammates. The last quarter felt like it slugged on. The defensive guys were giving up more yards and soon gave up another touchdown. And I wasn't getting the ball out quick enough in. Even trying to hand it off to the running back didn't seem to be getting us enough yards to get down the field.

We were running out of steam and Kingsley seemed to be a bottomless pit of energy. They didn't slow down at all and it was getting kind of annoying.

The game ended at 24-17. We had lost to Kingsley.

It was worst case for me. I didn't love when we lost, I let myself mope around for a night but I bounced back ready for the next one. Losing against Kingsley felt different.

I had never felt like I failed my team more. I could tell they were all feeling frustrated. The quietness of the locker room as we all showered and got changed was a huge sign of how the guys were taking the loss.

"You coming out tonight? Guys are planning on drinking the loss away." Monroe asked.

"Maybe, kinda want to take a nap or something first." I told my best friend.

I more so wanted some time on my own to process it all and maybe ice my side a bit.

"I'll text you were we are going so you can meet up with us." He patted my shoulder before going to finish getting ready.

I took a quick but steaming shower and then threw on some sweatpants and a shirt.

I was anxious to get the hell out of here.

When I exited the athletic building most of the parking lot had died down and cars were funneling out. Not many people stuck around to celebrate a loss.

"Hey asshole!"

I turned to see Jake grinning and leaning against the side of a black car.

"What do you want? I'm really not in the mood to listen to you boost your own ego." I groaned walking over to were he was standing.

"Is celebrating my greatness the same as boosting my ego?" He asked.

"You're such a dick." I frowned crossing my arms across my chest.

"Want to get in?" He asked gesturing to his car. "I'll give you the ride of your life." His hand reached out letting his fingers trail up my bicep.

"As if I'd ever sleep with you." I brushed his hand off me.

"Such a shame, I bet you'd look hot on my dick." Jake eyed me up and down not even bothering trying to hide the fact he was checking me out.

No one would have to know. They wouldn't have to know how his words made my whole body feel hot or how I stepped forward wanting to get in the car.

Maybe I just needed to get it out of my system. A one time thing so that my life could finally go back to normal.

"We aren't doing it here where any of my teammates could walk by and see us." I told him.

"Just get in the car you asshole."

"Don't tell me what to do dickhead." I shot back but walked over opening the passenger door and got in.

"Why would I stop bossing you around when you always listen?" Jake smiled smugly and then shut the door on me before I had time to curse him out or jump back out of the car.

Fuck him and his stupidly large ego.

A/n:

This chapter is football heavy.... Sorry about that. I am a big football fan but I promise that this book will not have a lot of playing actual football in it. Like obviously it's there but I know you guys aren't here for play by play football games. So this will be the chapter that has the most football in it just because I had fun writing it. But future chapters will feature less football game play.

-Cora Leigh