56. A family

I felt terrible.

Maybe it was beyond terrible at the moment. However for the first time in about a week it had nothing to do with my physical health. It was finally New Year's Eve and I was feeling well enough to join Jake's family celebration. I was getting ready in Jake's room when it all hit me.

I had met Jake's family but I'd spent the past days cooped up in bed resting and feeling like shit. I hadn't put the effort into really getting to know any of them or make a good impression. I could only imagine what they thought of me right now.

So now I was hiding in Jake's bedroom for a completely different reason. I was way too nervous to face anyone right now. How was I supposed to win them over?

"You're still not dressed?" Jake gave me a questioning look as he slipped back into his room.

"I don't think I can do this." I fretted.

My overthinking and panic was going to ruin everything but at this moment I didn't care. I let myself rely on my anxieties trusting them to make sure I didn't spiral any further. And I really didn't think I could handle the rejection of Jake's family.

"Why? It's just my family and a few friends. Nothing is going to go wrong." He tried to reassure me but his words did nothing to ease the nerves.

"Just your family!?" I scoffed at him. "What if they hate me and like tell you to break up with me?"

Jake just stared at me for a few seconds not saying anything. Part of me thought he might have been waiting for me to tell him I was joking. I really was t kidding right now.

"They aren't going to hate you and if they try to control who I'm dating then that's their problem and not yours."

I forced myself to let out a few breaths to try to calm down some. I was being unrealistic. I knew Jake loved me and his family had been kind enough to let me stay for as long as they have. I shouldn't be worried about this now.

"Ok ok," I nodded lightly trying to shake some of the nerves off.

"Now are you going to put your shirt on or are you going to meet my family half naked?" Jake gave me a teasing smile.

I shouldn't have been worried. I spent about twenty minutes letting Jake's mom shove her cheesecake at me until I had to tell her it was enough. I was worried that she'd throw one more thing onto my plate and I'd end up with a stomach ache for the rest of the night.

In the time I spent with Jake's mom I had lost my boyfriend. He'd went to grab another drink and he'd yet to return. I hadn't been too worried before but now I scanned through the crowd hoping to see him. Jake's mom had moved from me to trying to serve other guests so I was alone. Id been introduced to some of the family and friends that were here but it was quick introductions so I didn't know anyone but Jake.

It didn't take long for me to find the familiar head of dark brown hair but I hesitated to go over and see him. Jake was in a conversation with a man I didn't recognize and judging from his face he was not having a good time. I thought about going to rescue him but then my gaze locked on someone else.

Adam stood not that far from Jake but he seemed to be in some type of argument with Jake's sister, someone I had yet to really talk to at all. I decided to make my way towards them instead of joining whatever boring conversation Jake was locked into.

"I thought you weren't as lame as my brother but turns out I'm wrong." Maya, Jake's sister sassed frowning at the blond in front of her.

"Did you really think I'd say yes to that? Come on you know me better than that." Adam responded.