14. So obsessed

"I'm heading out, sure you haven't changed your mind?" Becca poked her head into my room.

It was officially fall break. We only really had two days off but with the weekend it was a full four days that the campus was basically shut down. A lot of the students went home for the long weekend. It wasn't a mandatory leave so I always stayed put. Becca had tried to convince me to go home with her like I did for thanksgiving but I always declined.

I hated feeling like a burden on her and her family. They didn't need to house me all the time. I already stayed with them for thanksgiving and spring break. I didn't want to try and ask for anything more.

"Nah I'm fine staying here." I shook my head.

"Evan you know you're always welcome to come home with me. Mom misses you almost as much as she misses me." She tried to push.

"Becs seriously I'm ok." I tried to convince her.

Did it suck that I was stuck here as my friends got to go home to their families? Sure. But it was better than the alternative. It was better to be here alone than home with my parents. College had been my out and I did everything I could to keep away for as long as I could.

I went home for Christmas but I never really stayed the whole time. Sometimes I went to Becca's house, sometimes I went and visited Monroe. Both of my friends were always more than happy to house me. Summer was always harder because I didn't want to rely on anyone for a place to stay for that long so it meant months of being at home.

It was the worst time and I always dreaded when summer came around.

"Mom's making that cheesecake you love, I'll bring some back for you." She smiled.

"Oo yes please." I nodded happily.

Becca's mom worked at a bakery and made some of the best desserts I'd ever had. I swear I'd never been a big sweets person until I started going to Becca's house and had all the treats her mom made.

"You know she only makes that for you because it's your favorite."

"I know and that's why I love her."

"Ok I have to go but serious if you get lonely or whatever just show up, there is always a place for you at my house." She walked over wrapping me in a hug.

"It's four days I think I'll find a way to manage." I teased.

"Four long days without your best friend around to keep you company."

"So four days of some peace and quiet? My dream."

"You're going to miss me, don't play." She stuck her tongue out at me.

"I will." I agreed knowing that the apartment being empty for that long was not my favorite thing.

"Bye." She waved one last time before walking out of my room.

Five minutes later Monroe stuck his head in a duffel bag in his hand.

"I'm heading out, I'll see you Sunday." He waved.

"Bye." I responded.

And when the door shut behind him I was finally alone. But I wasn't going to be alone for long. Yesterday Jake had texted wondering if I was going to be around. Kingsley had break the same time as we did and while Jake was also going home he still made plans to make a stop at mine before heading out.

Jake- running late, see you in like thirty?

I didn't really care when he showed up, wasn't like I was doing anything.