57. Kick me out

I sat there and stared at the clock. As each second ticked by I was anxiously waiting for the explosion. It was nice being back in my apartment but I definitely wasn't ready for when my roommates returned. I didn't know when Jetson was showing up but I knew Monroe and Becca were on their way back and would be walking in any minute now.

I was excited to see them but I knew my friends wouldn't let me hide away. There were still things I'd been running from. The main thing was the decision on if I was going to make a statement to the cops. If I did my parents would be arrested for what they did. Part of me thought that's what they deserved but there was another part that still saw them as my parents, my family. I hadn't figured out if I was ready to let go of that. There was a lot of years of lies I was still trying to unlearn.

"Evan!" Becca busted through the door making her way right towards me.

She didn't even pause before throwing her arms around me in a hug.

"Hey Becs." I smiled just letting her hold me as long as she needed.

"Are you ok? Oh god I missed you so much." She pulled away from me just enough to scan my face, my injuries faded and starting to heal so there was a lot less to see than before.

"I'm okay." I assured her.

"If you keep trying to squeeze the life out of him he might not be." Monroe commented walking up to us.

Becca let go of me and turned to glare at her boyfriend.

"I was being gentle, you're so dramatic."

"It's good to see you." Monroe ignored his girlfriend and came over to give me a short hug,

Monroe wasn't really a hugger so it felt nice to get one even if I knew it was just because he had been worried for me.

"I missed you guys." I confessed and being here with them was helping me ease some of the lingering anxieties.

My roommates were just an extension of the family I was building for myself. Monroe and Becca were two people that had stood by me since the day we met and I didn't think I would have survived these past weeks without knowing I still had them there to support me.

"I'm never letting you out of my sight again." Becca said and I wasn't totally sure if it was a joke or not.

"The chances of this happening a second time are pretty slim." I joked.

"Yeah because he deserves to be locked up in jail." Monroe grumbled.

"Monroe we talked about this." Becca looked over at her boyfriend scolding him.

"You talked and I listened, I'm not going to apologize for wanting the person that almost killed my best friend to go to jail. No one should be able to do what he did and get away with it." Monroe argued.

"Step out, I told you not to bring this up and that you needed to let Evan make that decision himself." Becca fought, I could see the annoyance and frustration in her face.

This wasn't the first time I'd seen the couple argue but it was the first time I'd been the reason for it. I hated that they were arguing because of me but as I stood there I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed. I'd been struggling with what to do about the cops and my parents. I didn't want anyone trying to pressure me into making a decision I wasn't ready for.

I didn't think I was even capable of going through my statement let alone having to face either of my parents again. It had been hard enough to go back during break, now I didn't think I could handle seeing my father or my mother again.

"You can't kick me out." Monroe snapped.

"You need to take a step away and calm yourself down. We can't have any type of conversation when you're all worked up like this." Becca reasoned with him.